The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
- Jan 10, 2012
- Reaction score
United States Army Air Force Type D-12 Navigational Compass used at the navigator's station on many US WWII aircraft, including heavy bombers B-17, B-24, B-29, medium bombers B-25 and B-26, and transports C-46, C-47, and C-54. Made by Bendix, part number 1833-1-A, it has a serial number prefix of AF-42, indicating manufacture in 1942. The D-12 was typically mounted on the navigator's desk. It has a rotating dial with directional markings, which would be rotated to align with the compass card floating in the reservoir below it. It appears to be in good working order.