• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

It's basic animal husbandry...

lftd&pwrstrok'n

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
Sith Dark Lord
247   0
Reaction score
I know that not everyone was raised on a farm, but some things are just basic biology.

I spent over an hour last night trying to explain chickens and eggs to a co worker. She couldn't grasp the concept that baby chickens come from a fertilized egg. That chickens lay eggs w/o a rooster and that a hen has to sit on the eggs for them to hatch. I kid you not. The concept seemed foreign to her.

I then had to explain that a cow will not produce milk w/o having a calf first. I told her, just like in humans (and all other mammals).

I can't begin to tell you how many times I have been asked if we milked our bull!! A BULL!! I mean, you could "milk" your bull, but only the bull is going to enjoy it :)

You can't make this **** up...

It's also amazing how many people don't associate grocery store meat and real animals on a farm somewhere.

She is one of those. I asked her if she had ever been to a hog killing (I know, I know; it's racist to assume that a black person growing up in a semi country county like Coweta would have seen a hog killing) and she didn't have a clue what I was talking about. So, she YouTubed it and got out of her chair screaming when they cut its throat. I then had to explain to her that is where your bacon comes from. She wanted to know what other meats came from a pig. It was a long 12 hour shift last night.

And duck can hold semen from several drakes and choose which one to fertilize her eggs with. That will really blow her mind!

And duck can hold semen from several drakes and choose which one to fertilize her eggs with. That will really blow her mind!

Or that a honeybee goes on one mating flight. Mates with dozens of drones and holds all that semen until needed...

I was NOT going to delve into all that!! ha ha

And yet, these are the same people trying to make laws telling farmers how to house their livestock, not kill predators, what to feed them, etc. My nephews wife's mother and spouse (both female, don't know which is the husband) recently moved here from California and started going on about a bunch of this crap. I pushed back and they wanted to know what kind of agriculture degree I had. My nephew looked at them and said, "He was raised on a farm that had been in his family for 6 generations." Their response was that didn't mean I knew as much as the 'experts' they were reading about livestock treatment. :tsk:

Back
Top Bottom