• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

It's basic animal husbandry...

And yet, these are the same people trying to make laws telling farmers how to house their livestock, not kill predators, what to feed them, etc. My nephews wife's mother and spouse (both female, don't know which is the husband) recently moved here from California and started going on about a bunch of this crap. I pushed back and they wanted to know what kind of agriculture degree I had. My nephew looked at them and said, "He was raised on a farm that had been in his family for 6 generations." Their response was that didn't mean I knew as much as the 'experts' they were reading about livestock treatment. :tsk:

My grandfather, who dropped out of middle school, was a gardening wizard. Knew everything there was about growing food and animals. Didn't need a degree, he had years of family history farming. I am going through this "experts" crap from time to time w/ the girl friend. She researches absolutely everything and then wonders why it fails. I tell her all the time, that ain't the way we do that around here. My family has tilled, sweated and farmed the same property for over 200 years. I'd think they'd know how to grow/farm on this particular patch of dirt.

I know that not everyone was raised on a farm, but some things are just basic biology.

I spent over an hour last night trying to explain chickens and eggs to a co worker. She couldn't grasp the concept that baby chickens come from a fertilized egg. That chickens lay eggs w/o a rooster and that a hen has to sit on the eggs for them to hatch. I kid you not. The concept seemed foreign to her.

I then had to explain that a cow will not produce milk w/o having a calf first. I told her, just like in humans (and all other mammals).

I can't begin to tell you how many times I have been asked if we milked our bull!! A BULL!! I mean, you could "milk" your bull, but only the bull is going to enjoy it :)

You can't make this **** up...

It's also amazing how many people don't associate grocery store meat and real animals on a farm somewhere.

She is one of those. I asked her if she had ever been to a hog killing (I know, I know; it's racist to assume that a black person growing up in a semi country county like Coweta would have seen a hog killing) and she didn't have a clue what I was talking about. So, she YouTubed it and got out of her chair screaming when they cut its throat. I then had to explain to her that is where your bacon comes from. She wanted to know what other meats came from a pig. It was a long 12 hour shift last night.

And yet, these are the same people trying to make laws telling farmers how to house their livestock, not kill predators, what to feed them, etc. My nephews wife's mother and spouse (both female, don't know which is the husband) recently moved here from California and started going on about a bunch of this crap. I pushed back and they wanted to know what kind of agriculture degree I had. My nephew looked at them and said, "He was raised on a farm that had been in his family for 6 generations." Their response was that didn't mean I knew as much as the 'experts' they were reading about livestock treatment. :tsk:

People like this make my head want to explode, I have NO patience what-so-ever for em'. However I really do love to make em' freak out by telling em' I like to eat "Bambi" lol!

People like this make my head want to explode, I have NO patience what-so-ever for em'. However I really do love to make em' freak out by telling em' I like to eat "Bambi" lol!

I guess that I am either living under a rock or in denial that there are actual, breeding adults out there so clueless.

I guess that I am either living under a rock or in denial that there are actual, breeding adults out there so clueless.
I had a bunch of em' working for me about 6 years ago, I was literally about to lose it and snap on some of em'. The only thing that saved em' was the fact that it's illegal to kill em' and I'm just too pretty for prison. Lol!

This thread just reminds me how disconnected from the physical world people have gotten. We moved into this subdivision near Monroe about 10 years ago. My wife loves hydrangea and owes so we got several planted since we knew her medical conditions were going to cause her health to continue to deteriorate badly. Everybody said the deer would destroy them. I said I doubted it and pointed to my 90 lb solid black German Shepherd. Told them we spread his fur around and after he chased off a couple they'd move on to easier pickings. You'd have thought I was calling in an airstrike on Santa's reindeer.

Later, when my wife's plants were blooming like mad, a neighbor lady asked if I'd put dog fur around her plants. When I got there to do it, she was spreading corn on the ground I asked why. She said it was so the deer would eat that and leave her flowers alone. I explained all that did was make her whole yard a buffet table. She told me I had no idea what I was talking about, the deer would leave the pretty flowers alone if they had other food and called me everything but a child of god. I took my dog fur and left. I still watch deer eating her flowers while I have coffee on my back deck.

Sorry for the long rant. I'm just freaking tired of people so disconnected from the real world expecting the rest of us to fix their screwups

Back
Top Bottom