• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

It's hurricane season 2019! How are your preps lacking?

After Hurricane Michael, had three trees close to the house taken down and bought a dual fuel generator primarily to run propane which has fewer maintenance issues. I think I spent as much on all of the heavy power cables as I did on the generator. Still buying extra bottled water and canned food. We were without power for three days and two days without water. A camp shower might be good to have if the water gets shut off. But storing extra water for flushing commodes and for an outdoor showers is still unresolved. A food-grade 55-gallon plastic barrel would be nice.

After Hurricane Michael, had three trees close to the house taken down and bought a dual fuel generator primarily to run propane which has fewer maintenance issues. I think I spent as much on all of the heavy power cables as I did on the generator. Still buying extra bottled water and canned food. We were without power for three days and two days without water. A camp shower might be good to have if the water gets shut off. But storing extra water for flushing commodes and for an outdoor showers is still unresolved. A food-grade 55-gallon plastic barrel would be nice.

I've done pretty much the same as you since Matthew!

For flushing commodes, fill the tubs when bad weather threatens.

I need to test run my generator and get a fresh gas supply stored, other than that I'm set.
You might want to be sure your wife knows how to connect, crank, and run your generator. Last year I had a surgery just before we lost power, wife grabbed her instructions and had us powered up in about 20 minutes.

Edit:
Generator cranked on 2nd pull, ran and idled fine.
Replenished half my gas supply, will replace rest and top off vehicles when first hurricane or winter storm seems imminent.
Will work this week on dry cell battery inventory for flahlights, radios and walkies.

For flushing commodes, fill the tubs when bad weather threatens.

I need to test run my generator and get a fresh gas supply stored, other than that I'm set.
You might want to be sure your wife knows how to connect, crank, and run your generator. Last year I had a surgery just before we lost power, wife grabbed her instructions and had us powered up in about 20 minutes.

Edit:
Generator cranked on 2nd pull, ran and idled fine.
Replenished half my gas supply, will replace rest and top off vehicles when first hurricane or winter storm seems imminent.
Will work this week on dry cell battery inventory for flahlights, radios and walkies.

Back
Top Bottom