• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ivy in the trees, how to kill the stuff???

Bayer brush killer killed off a LOT of ivy at my house. Boston ivy, poison ivy and BlackBerry and some other ivy that isn't kudzu but grows like it.

Just spray it on the leaves on a sunny day.

Wear a mask. Bad stuff.

There was a guy on Youtube I cant totally recall but he cutt a section where it began to climb up the tree and He cut the vine then made cups around the cuts and filled the cup with table salt added a bit of water and squezzed the top shut killed it off

We had the same issue at our old house. A guy from the course did some yard work for me he sprayed it with something (agent orange maybe) killed the heck out of it.
I will try to find out what through a friend.
Otherwise cut off near ground spray or brush / paint end connected to ground with 100% round up right away let it take it to roots.

If its english ivy, you kill it by cutting the tree down.
Not on my property, on the line, covered in ivy and about to attach to my trees, can't let that happen, Cutting tree down is obvious, stuff dying isn't quite as obvious,
I have took advice from @kuduman and dewaxed the ivy leaves with Diesel fuel, waited a couple hours then heavy doses with Round up extra strong mix then repeated the RU every day for 3 days, its all black now, just green above where I treated.

Get some Goats. They will eat everything from the ground to as high as they can reach standing on their back 2 legs.
If you get the kind that sleep in the trees they will eat the vines all the way to the top.

images.jpg

Anyone have a way to stop its spread if not kill it all??

If it's English Ivy, it will stay green in the tree for weeks after the stems are cut at the ground. But it will die. I usually paint the cut ends of the stems with full strength Brush-B-Gone to kill the roots. I've never had much luck using Roundup on it. Not strong enough.

Round up won't kill english ivy effectively.

Take a weed eater to all of it at the ground to open up loose ends. Mix a good surfectant and some 2,4-D into a sprayer and have at it. Problem solved. 2,4-D is a cousin to Agent Orange known as Agent White. You can get it from tractor supply.

Had to clear up about 4,000 sq feet of the **** several years ago. Don't waste your time with glyphosate.

You're welcome.

Back
Top Bottom