• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Janis Joplin Documentary on Netflix

letusbuyyourcar

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
203   0
Reaction score
Okay first of all I'm not THAT old but I dig Janis. My folks still have her work on original vinyl. Sure she couldn't sing in the traditional sense. But she had intensity and that will carry you a long way.
Anyway, it's pretty damn good doc if you're into the REAL rock acts like me. And we all know how it wound up but the last 10/15 minutes of it will still make you tear up. It's must see TV.

That dude was ugly but he sure could sing.
Funny you should sat that. In the doc there's this sad old grey headed hippie telling how the high school paper in Port Arthur Texas had a contest for ugliest man and they made Janis the winner. He was about to cry telling about that one. And if you think about it a minute it really was cruel. But seriously in most pics or footage I've seen of Janis I wouldn't go so far as to call her ugly. To me she was just kinda plain looking.
The only other singer I can compare Janis to would have to be Joe Cocker. He had intensity like no other. He did a good bit of cover songs too. I always tell people that you could write, record and perform whatever song you want. But once Joe Cocker sang it well it wasn't your song anymore. It was his.

Back
Top Bottom