• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Jeep dudes.....locker question.

Comanche

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
124   0
Reaction score
On a 99 Xj I’m looking to get front and rear locker recommendations from people WITH personal experience with them.
NOT interested in a lunchbox locker.

I had a spool in the rear and lunchbox in the front of my 99 XJ. Loved the spool. Yes the tires chirp a little when taking tight turns, like in a parking lot, but I didn't notice it after about a week. Nothing to break or malfunction in a spool. On the other end of the cost spectrum, had an ARB that was great. Just a lot more cost than the spool and it has potential for failure. If I was to build another XJ I would do a spool in the rear and an ARB in the front.

On a 99 Xj I’m looking to get front and rear locker recommendations from people WITH personal experience with them.
NOT interested in a lunchbox locker.

ARB is the standard for selectable lockers. I had them in my tacoma f/r and they worked as well as the factory elockers in my land cruiser.

Eaton makes an electric locker but cant comment on them.

As far as arb vs. Detroit ir similar, the ability to turn them off is critical. There are time that you do not want a locker trying to lock.

Unrelated, a buddy has a Jeep, 4 door, lifted, he bought used. It does the death wobble. He's checked all the front end components, supposed to be good. What actually causes the wobble, he's stumped.

Often it is caster but can be wheel bearings or wheel balance. I had an issue with it but knew my castor was corrected. Kept thinking it was wheel bearings so checked them and tightened them and eventually replaced them with factory bearings and still no bueno. Replaced the tires and the death wobble was gone.

Since you guys know more than me about lockers does anyone know if I can add a ARB air locker to my limited slip diff or will it replace the diff? Asking for a 99 LX470 where the Toyota E-locker wasnt offered as an option.

I'm going to guess that it's a brake actuated limited slip, in that the computer applies brakes to the slipping wheel to shift power to the wheel with traction. That's how my tundra works anyway. If that's the case then an ARB should work without replacing the diff. Ih8mud will have the answer for sure.

ETA, heres your answer.. arb replaces the lsd carrier...

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/rear-diff-lock-on-lx470.48237/

I'm going to guess that it's a brake actuated limited slip, in that the computer applies brakes to the slipping wheel to shift power to the wheel with traction. That's how my tundra works anyway. If that's the case then an ARB should work without replacing the diff. Ih8mud will have the answer for sure.

ETA, heres your answer.. arb replaces the lsd carrier...

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/rear-diff-lock-on-lx470.48237/

Thanks mate. I guess at that point it would be like a 99 Land crusier with the optional rear locker, open diff unless locked

Unrelated, a buddy has a Jeep, 4 door, lifted, he bought used. It does the death wobble. He's checked all the front end components, supposed to be good. What actually causes the wobble, he's stumped.

Someone mentioned tires...yes could be especially if out of alignment.
A simple tow adjustment can sometimes alleviate death wobble especially after being lifted and not properly aligned.
A new steering shock can just be a band aid.
A lot of these cherokee’s have a 55 mph wobble zone that is either mild or severe.
Sometimes you can hit a bump in the road at 35mph and your steering wheel can shake madly as your wheels fight to go straight evenly.
I would have him get a second opinion on his suspension and steering components including U joints at the end of the front axles.
A place I’d highly recommend for him to take his jeep is southern offroad off McFarland PKWY in Alpharetta.
They can find stuff you never thought was the problem.
they’ve helped me considerably.

One thing your buddy can do if he hadn’t already is upgrade his tie rods with crown automotive heavy duty tie rods...prettt inexpensive upgrade and easy to install....a must after lifting jeep.
I had a minor death wobble after an alignment right after I lifted mine with a 3” zone lift.
The shop did not align my toe properly and I had new tires from the start.
Southern offroad hooked me up and i’ve been smooth sailing since they aligned mine.
They also pointed out that my ballpoint has some play where the other ship didn’t.
These guys are good at what they do.

Back
Top Bottom