• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Jeep dudes.....locker question.

I'm going to guess that it's a brake actuated limited slip, in that the computer applies brakes to the slipping wheel to shift power to the wheel with traction. That's how my tundra works anyway. If that's the case then an ARB should work without replacing the diff. Ih8mud will have the answer for sure.

ETA, heres your answer.. arb replaces the lsd carrier...

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/rear-diff-lock-on-lx470.48237/

This is not a limited sip. It is a version of traction control that uses the brakes to transfer power to the tire that is not spinning. 99 is the last year of the factory rear locker as an option. As he stated Ih8mud is the answer for all things Land Cruiser.

The Eaton that is mentioned above is an OEM locker for Ford and several others around the world. It is a solid product with no real issues.

Since you guys know more than me about lockers does anyone know if I can add a ARB air locker to my limited slip diff or will it replace the diff? Asking for a 99 LX470 where the Toyota E-locker wasnt offered as an option.
An ARB replaces the differential carrier. Whether your stock diff is open or has a limited slip or anything else internal is irrelevant as you will be replacing the piece that houses either the open spider gears in the case of an open diff or the limited slip components in the case of a factory limited slip option. When you install an ARB the factory carrier is removed, the ring gear is swapped from the factory carrier to the ARB carrier and the gear pattern is checked and adjusted as necessary. Then you also have to plumb the air line to actuate the ARB and mount and wire the air compressor and switch.

On a 99 Xj I’m looking to get front and rear locker recommendations from people WITH personal experience with them.
NOT interested in a lunchbox locker.
Whats the setup? Stock axles? If, so you’re not running a big enough tire to warrant a full carrier locker. If you are, then you’re a fool for adding a locker on top of the big tires. Nothin wrong with a lunchbox locker for this application. Spartan is my favorite of the ones I have had (lock right and tru trac)

Detroit lockers are absolute pieces of crap. They have bad manners and they can grenade internally if you break an axle shaft. They are unpredictable... when you are coasting in a turn and apply fuel they can try and put you in the next lane. You really have to change your diving habits with them.

ARB lockers are more trouble than they’re worth. Switches and fuses and compressor and solenoid and regulator and air lines etc. they need 90psi to the diff constantly to lock.

Spool is the strongest and most economical option of a full carrier “locker”. It is also the most predictable on road because it never throws you a curve ball. Yes, you’ll chirp tires every time you whip into a parking spot. Not a big deal. Welding the diff, if done right, is the same dang thing and is nearly free. Preheat the carrier to about 400° and burn it in hot.

Yes I have run every single option I have listed and yes I have run them on daily driven vehicles even though I no longer drive my crawler.

let me know if I can help

98 TJ I like my Eatons, have heard a lot of people frag the Detroit lockers which ran fine in my 85 K-5. My jeep had the wobble when I first got it, my steering stabilizer had come loose and had warped wheels.

Back
Top Bottom