• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Jeep fun

james357

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
368   0
Reaction score
I just got a jeep wrangler and am looking to go on a beginner trail. I'm having lower back nerves burnt the beginning of June due to pain from a 2012 back surgery.

I hope this will give me some good relief. I am soon to be 60.

Any suggestions on areas to go for a relaxing ride with the wife. I motercrossed 250 class when I was 14-16. Had enough exciting time to last. Now just looking forward to seeing the countryside.

It's a drive from Dallas, but a decent trail is:

Go to Helen, go through town, and turn right towards Unicoi State Park. go past the park, about 4 miles out, turn left on Eugene Road, about 70 yards, take a right on Chimney Mtn Road. It's dirt right as you turn on. Stay straight. Follow it up the mountain. You'll come to a three way after around 2-30 minutes, depending on your speed, at the top of a mountain at a clearing. To the left is a dirt pad area. If you go straight, it dead ends further up the mountain. If you go right, there is a rocky road, pretty bumpy, 4 low kind of area. It'll take 15-20 minutes to drive about 2.5-3 miles. About half way there's a clearing to stop and give your back a break. When you get through this road, you'll be to another three way. To the right takes you near Hiawassee. It's a nice road with some pretty scenery.
To the left at that intersection (10 oclock from where you came) takes you near to the top of Unicoi mountain on the north side. If you go left, there's another three way. The better road is the right there past Indian Grave Gap, down to The Blue Hole (a hiking trail to some waterfalls), just north of Unicoi Mtn. If you stay straight after that left turn, it's Tray Mtn Road. It gets to be monotonous washboard in my opinion, but comes out just north of Helen on 75.

The whole ride will take a couple of hours if you keep rolling, but take a picnic and find a shady spot. Jeeps frequent the place. It's not uncommon to see a couple dozen, especially this weekend.

It's a drive from Dallas, but a decent trail is:

Go to Helen, go through town, and turn right towards Unicoi State Park. go past the park, about 4 miles out, turn left on Eugene Road, about 70 yards, take a right on Chimney Mtn Road. It's dirt right as you turn on. Stay straight. Follow it up the mountain. You'll come to a three way after around 2-30 minutes, depending on your speed, at the top of a mountain at a clearing. To the left is a dirt pad area. If you go straight, it dead ends further up the mountain. If you go right, there is a rocky road, pretty bumpy, 4 low kind of area. It'll take 15-20 minutes to drive about 2.5-3 miles. About half way there's a clearing to stop and give your back a break. When you get through this road, you'll be to another three way. To the right takes you near Hiawassee. It's a nice road with some pretty scenery.
To the left at that intersection (10 oclock from where you came) takes you near to the top of Unicoi mountain on the north side. If you go left, there's another three way. The better road is the right there past Indian Grave Gap, down to The Blue Hole (a hiking trail to some waterfalls), just north of Unicoi Mtn. If you stay straight after that left turn, it's Tray Mtn Road. It gets to be monotonous washboard in my opinion, but comes out just north of Helen on 75.

The whole ride will take a couple of hours if you keep rolling, but take a picnic and find a shady spot. Jeeps frequent the place. It's not uncommon to see a couple dozen, especially this weekend.

We are headed up to Helen on Monday.... Going to get the Jeep dirty. Haha

Google hickey's gap camp ground. Forest service roads all up through that area. Really nice picnic spots to stop at and you'll be right by lake conasauga as well.

I wish I had a wrangler, I need to lift my cheerokee badly.
20160706_170311.jpg

Back
Top Bottom