• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Jeep help

the lackster

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
0   0
Reaction score
Hello all, looking for a little guidance on a jeep. I have a 1998 Grand Cherokee 4.0 that has developed a really bad habit of cutting off on me. It will idle and run smooth as silk but when its been driving for about 15 minutes or so it will just cut off. It sounds terrible when it cuts off, sounds almost like a diesel for a second. Once it cuts off it will not crank back for a while but when it does it runs great again like nothing ever happened. It has been in to two different shops and neither one can figure it out. New crank position sensor x2, new distributor, new fuel pump assembly.

Looking for any suggestions as well as any mechanic recommendations in the Commerce area. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

It sounds like it might be the fuel pump relay circuit defect. It is a recall on several thousand vehicles. My wife’s was on the recall list which Chrysler confirmed. Problem is, they can’t get the repair parts in fast enough and the waiting list is around 2 years long. If that is your problem, there is a video on YouTube that instructs you how to bypass the relay, basically hot wiring the fuel pump. I did that on my wife’s and as soon as I got it started, it went straight to the dealer and traded.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

It sounds like it might be the fuel pump relay circuit defect. It is a recall on several thousand vehicles. My wife’s was on the recall list which Chrysler confirmed. Problem is, they can’t get the repair parts in fast enough and the waiting list is around 2 years long. If that is your problem, there is a video on YouTube that instructs you how to bypass the relay, basically hot wiring the fuel pump. I did that on my wife’s and as soon as I got it started, it went straight to the dealer and traded.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
that recall does not apply to this year model

Back
Top Bottom