• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Jury Duty

You may be in for a surprise, take a book. While you probably will not serve on a criminal jury, LEO serve regularly on civil juries.
The civil part is possible. I worked court security for five years and remember a few officers that were picked for civil hearings. I was called for jury duty when I lived in Douglas County 20 years ago and was dismissed within an hour.. I would enjoy being picked.

People don't understand how the system works.

Unless you have a legal reason for an excuse (very few of them these days) you are going to have to be there and stay.

If you don't get selected on a jury the first day, most counties put you on a call in system, and that's all you do.

If you are called to go through the jury selection process for a particular case, trying to get off that case only gets you put back in the pool. If you have a "family emergency", in most counties, your name goes to the top of the list for the next session of court, so you have doubled the inconvenience, and increased your chances of being selected the next time.

If you are called for the selection process, your odds of being selected are about 1 in 4 or greater depending on the case. In other words, you are better off just going through the process, and being sent home.

Also, in most counties, if you are struck for cause from a particular case, you are sent back to the jury assembly room to wait on the next case that needs a jury.

Finally, I don't know why people are so opposed to serving on a jury. Beyond the general obligation to the general well being of our society, it is the one process where the average citizen can impact how the whole system works. Once you go in the jury room, there is no one on this planet who can tell you what to do or what not to do in reaching a verdict, and your personal, individual decision is going to change someone's life in some way.
why are people opposed to being on jury duty ? try losing $560 dollars a day to be paid $30 dollars . that's why I'm opposed!

why are people opposed to being on jury duty ? try losing $560 dollars a day to be paid $30 dollars . that's why I'm opposed!

You have a point.

It makes so much more sense to have life and death, or multi-million dollar decisions made be people making $12 dollars an hour.

Back
Top Bottom