• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Jury Duty

I'll respectfully give you several reasons why I don't like being called for jury duty:
1. I don't have a tremendous amount of faith in the legal system (eg, OJ Simpson)
2. Like trw2094, some people lose a lot of money to be there.
3. Like palmettomoon, I always wear a coat and tie (out of respect for the process). I am always the only one. Most wear tank tops or pajamas.
4. The people who argue the cases and supervise the proceedings are all lawyers. Does anyone really respect lawyers or believe anything that comes out of their mouths (except other lawyers)?

If you chose to not participate in the system, your choice. But you have no right to any opinion of the judicial system in that case. You might just be happier someplace where citizens have no say at all in the judicial system. N Korea, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, etc., has plenty of openings for new citizens.

Personally, I am willing to do my part to support the US and its Constitutional government.

If no one is willing to do their duty, what do we have left?

I got called and selected to serve on a jury over a case of incestuous rape.

Good times.

And yeah. It's your civic duty. If you consider yourself an AMERICAN then you SERVE. It's what we DO. It's what the framers of the Constitution intended for us to DO.

Come up with all the schemes you want. It's your life. You have to live with it.

Sometimes FREEDOM isn't CONVENIENT.

I kind of enjoyed doing it. It paid $35 a day. Burned 2 days of vacation so I made $70. Got picked my first time called. Been 3 more times but not picked. Jury by your peers? Not so much.

If you chose to not participate in the system, your choice. But you have no right to any opinion of the judicial system in that case. You might just be happier someplace where citizens have no say at all in the judicial system. N Korea, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, etc., has plenty of openings for new citizens.

Personally, I am willing to do my part to support the US and its Constitutional government.

If no one is willing to do their duty, what do we have left?
I think you misunderstood me, and that is my fault.

I have never made up an excuse not to serve. I go every time that I get a subpoena. But if you read my post, it said "I don't like" the duty. My reasons stated therein are why that I don't like it.

As far as "opinion" goes, we all have the right to an opinion. The 1A gives me that right (and you) to express an opinion. And I did so respectfully. And I respect your opinion.

As far as being happier someplace else, how can you suppose to know my thoughts? But I will say that I am a proud American, as I suspect you are. I served 25 years in the Army (8 active years as a pilot and then the remainder in the USAR as a trauma surgeon). I truly think that I support the US Constitution, and every time that I was promoted (from PFC eventually to COL) I had to swear to uphold it and defend the US. Oddly enough, you mention Iraq and Saudi Arabia; I have served in both those countries during war. And I have served in South Korea during peacetime.

I understand that you were just expressing your opinion, and I actually support your thoughts. But to draw a conclusion that:
1. Because someone doesn't like jury duty
2. That they will refuse to participate when summoned
3. And that because of occasional mistrust of the judicial system that they might be happier in another country...….
Well, that is quite a stretch. :)

But your points are well taken.

Back
Top Bottom