• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Just a little FYI for all the Cerakoters, Engravers, and Basement Gunsmiths

Nonliberal

Eagle Icon Super Lifetime Supporter 1
Formerly known as Bypass
355   0
Reaction score
Get your FFL. It's not difficult and it's like $100 a year to get an 01 (gunsmith). I don't know why so many folks just decide they don't need one to engage in the business.
It does come with a list of obstacles such as;
Credit card processors won't deal with you
Banks won't open new accounts for you
Some places won't lease to you
HOA won't let you have one etc
or You can't get one issued because you are home based
Plus you have to deal with the fed from 3 sides
and pay extra taxes
The list goes on and on
I don't know whatever reason.

I'm not talking about anyone particular or singling anyone out. I don't even have anyone in mind. If you think I'm talking about you then think of it like church and fix yourself.
I have just seen it so many times over the years. Best of luck to you and I ain't the popo, but they do exist.

atf1.pngatf2.pngatf3.png

I know of it happening. Trust me.
And FWIW. I should elaborate - I don't know anyone who got charged with any crime related to unlicensed gunsmithing. I do know a few who got a letter from a government agency with the official definition of "gunsmithing", a reference to the statute requiring a license for same, and a statement of the penalties for not having said license. In all the cases with which I am familiar that was enough to get the person to reconsider their choices.

It particularly became an issue when the film type coatings started to become common and affordable, and every one with space in the basement set up a tank. I had several in person and on line exchanges with people who refused to believe that you needed a license to put a plastic film on a gun. If they didn't believe me, the became true believers when they got the letter.

And FWIW. I should elaborate - I don't know anyone who got charged with any crime related to unlicensed gunsmithing. I do know a few who got a letter from a government agency with the official definition of "gunsmithing", a reference to the statute requiring a license for same, and a statement of the penalties for not having said license. In all the cases with which I am familiar that was enough to get the person to reconsider their choices.

It particularly became an issue when the film type coatings started to become common and affordable, and every one with space in the basement set up a tank. I had several in person and on line exchanges with people who refused to believe that you needed a license to put a plastic film on a gun. If they didn't believe me, the became true believers when they got the letter.
Maybe I should have said that. I don't know of anyone getting in actual trouble for it but I do remember some cerakote company years ago disappearing as fast as they could.
Hydrodip is about the worst gun coating ever. I had a tank once. Wound up giving it away to my buddy with a motorcycle shop to get it out of my way. It has its uses, protecting guns ain't one.

and you can bet your ass you will ratted out on this site. Anonymously of course

I know of it happening. Trust me.
Come to think of it, someone on here contacted my opposition about a dirty joke I told on here when I ran for office.
I tried with everything I had to find out who but the site administration stuck to their guns about not sharing your info. Which i admire them for, principles and whatnot.

Come to think of it, someone on here contacted my opposition about a dirty joke I told on here when I ran for office.
I tried with everything I had to find out who but the site administration stuck to their guns about not sharing your info. Which i admire them for, principles and whatnot.
opposition wasnt squeezing that sac or they would have squealed like a little girl. If the man wants the info they gonna get the info.

Back
Top Bottom