• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Just a question?

I don't understand it either. If person A has a $200 gun why would somebody trade him a $300 gun for it?

Because it's an ODT unwritten rule that all trades have to be heavily in someone's favor.

What I don't understand, is how anyone can value a trade that precisely.

To me, it just means the "seller" would much prefer to sell the item for cash, but he's willing to accept certain things in trade IF, and only if, it's strongly in his favor.
This could be for 2 reasons:

1-- He wants to flip the stuff he gets from you in trade, and if he gets it at a real bargain, he can sell it for a "fair" price and still profit, or...

2-- He wants a good deal, and how much he paid for something (or what value he traded to get it) actually changes his attitude toward the item. If he gets a $150 gun for $150, it's just another POS gun that means nothing to him; he won't be pleased to own it. But if he gets that same gun by trading a $90 item for it, now he's proud to have it. He got a deal, a bargain. That alone gives him satisfaction. Even if the item in question is a fuel pump for a 1988 Ford HSC engine, and he's never owned a Ford and doesn't plan to. If he can get it cheap, he's happy.

In some circumstances it seems like the seller is listing it at a low price, but doesn't want to get offered guns that aren't worth as much.
If someone lists a Glock or Smith for $400, they may put $500 trade value because they don't want people offering to trade their Taurus or other less expensive guns. In some cases it seems reasonable.

In some circumstances it seems like the seller is listing it at a low price, but doesn't want to get offered guns that aren't worth as much.
If someone lists a Glock or Smith for $400, they may put $500 trade value because they don't want people offering to trade their Taurus or other less expensive guns. In some cases it seems reasonable.

Well. why would anyone offer a POS gun, and not expect to get a POS gun back?

Back
Top Bottom