• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Just can't focus on a red dot anymore.

Bear44

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
213   0
Reaction score
I've tried repeatedly to set my short range rifles up with red dots and just can't see a clear dot anymore. I even have this problem to a lesser extent with an older Nightforce NXS 1-4 with the large circle dot reticle. The best sight picture I get is with a low cost Weaver Kaspa 1.5-6 tactical scope. It's crystal clear and has an illuminated reticle with come-up gradients in it that really work.

It seems crazy, but I think I'm about to sell the Nightforce and about four or five red dots that I've accumulated and replace them with two $200 scopes.

Are you shooting with eyeglasses?

I find that my eyeglass lense creates a double image unless I get my eyeglass lense squared up with the scope or red dot. Particularly in brighter cheaper dots and dirty eye glasses.

I just aim for the image on the left and blame it on my glasses.

Are you shooting with eyeglasses?

I find that my eyeglass lense creates a double image unless I get my eyeglass lense squared up with the scope or red dot. Particularly in brighter cheaper dots and dirty eye glasses.

I just aim for the image on the left and blame it on my glasses.
Not only glasses, but progressive lenses. I'm sure that's the cause, but I'm a precision rifle shooter and the blur drives me crazy. The shape of the blob of light also shifts with a very minor shift of my head behind the optic. There's just no way to maintain a consistent POI.

%progressives

Maybe you could try a pair of glasses that are set fer shooting. A good eye guy on here might have the secret.

I carry lens cleaners in my shooting vest too.
And aim fer the dot on the left lol

Seriously, if you pay attention to the angle of your eyeglass lense and try to square it up that should help some.

%progressives
They're great... for everything other than shooting. I had to retrain my pistol shooting stance of 30 years because I can no longer focus on my front sight while looking out of the top of the lenses. I have to look out of the lower third to see the sight clearly.

%progressives

Maybe you could try a pair of glasses that are set fer shooting. A good eye guy on here might have the secret.

I could get custom glasses made, but I always train for real world use and changing glasses is not practical for that.

%progressives

Seriously, if you pay attention to the angle of your eyeglass lense and try to square it up that should help some.
Try perscription sun glasses usually works for me.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom