• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Just finished 200 rnds of 300 RUM...

Deer only—Our longest shots are around 400yds so we went with the 150’s (92.5 gr RL22) & 165’s (91.5 gr RL22) for less holdover. Two guys swear by the SSTs and three (me incl) swear by Barnes. I keep mine 2.5” high at 100 so there’s only about 8.5” drop at 400. Lay the crosshairs on the back at 400 and watch them drop like a rock- plus I’m color blind and can’t hardly follow a blood trail. We all practice at 300-400 so no worries on a still shot. And yea, way over gunned but it works.

Hey that works! I have only two complaints about the .300 RUM... kicks a bit, and the barrels won't make 700 rounds. At least my factory Rem barrel didn't. Accuracy vanished somewhere around 600-700. Otherwise, I love it.

Believe it or not, it's a real design, and it accommodates ballistic plates. Some guy up in Long Island made/makes them to protect dear against a federal cull that takes place on the east end of Long Island.

Used to live there. They are covered up in deer. Headshots is what comes to mind.

So, OP-- why are you loading the light bullets in the monster cartridge? Do you really need 3500-3600? Maybe you load light...

Heck, the RUM gets a 220 (240?) up to the same speed as a .308 gets a 147.

I get 3050, 26" barrel, with 210s.... And they work fine at 300 yards with little holdover. Kudu, gemsbok, zebra... big critters we don't have 'round here.

Though truthfully, I've shot most of the same species, much closer, with .375 H&H, and the animals were much more impressed by that. But no go in Namibia... you can't get close enough to use a .375 H&H, 'cuz you're in the wide-open with no cover. .300 RUM rules in Namibia. But I use much heavier bullets, to deal with the bigger animals. The RUM lets me get that 210 gr. slug out there without having to worry too carefully about range-- I know it's gonna be long, and sight in accordingly. The lighter bullets would eliminate the holdover concerns, but maybe not impressive enough on the critters. Oh, who am I kidding-- they'll still die, and you have a team of wildlife professionals to find it... it would work out fine. But my choice is a heavier bullet.

Kills deer pretty good though-- "TIIIMMMBBBBBEEERRR", as they fall over... has been my experience in Georgia with the RUM. Never had to track one, though I have only shot a handful with it.
Or get the best of both worlds plus a better BC by using the Barnes 175 grain LRX. Barnes bullets have such good terminal ballistics you get the same effect as you would with a class heavier lead bullet.

Back
Top Bottom