Welcome to The Outdoors Trader

Register Now
  1. Welcome to The Outdoors Trader! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Just getting into investing---fun!

Thread in 'Finance / Investing' started by jpm2953, Jun 25, 2019.

1. jpm2953

jpm2953 The Hen that laid the Golden Legos

Rating
    100%
    I'm definitely late to the investing game. I just started a 401k at work, Unfortunately no matching. I started a Roth IRA this week as well and set up a 2050 index fund. I'm enjoying learning about all this.
    Looking forward to throwing some money at this

Pholley526 and JasonB699 like this.
  2. JasonB699

JasonB699 Frontiersman

Rating
    100%
    I do 25% into my 401k. I keep most in a target retirement age fund but play with 30% pretty hands on. A couple of US mid-cap equities have been doing great since we got a businessman in the White House. I still haven't jumped into crypto, but my son (11-year old) wants to invest in precious metals, lol.

palmettomoon likes this.
  3. jpm2953

jpm2953 The Hen that laid the Golden Legos

Rating
    100%
    I wish I had the spare cash to put 25% into mine. That’s awesome

4. Psilloh1

Psilloh1 The Hen that laid the Golden Legos

Rating
    100%
    Those balanced funds are great based on retirement age.. They obviously are aggressive based on a maturity of 2050.. That is what you want at your age...

I did really aggressive the last 25 years, and bet on a few high flyers, and also a few stinkers.. Wrapping up my career in 4 years...

Smart thing you are starting young. Learn the Rule of 72..

JasonB699 and palmettomoon like this.
  5. WallsGa

WallsGa ODT Junkie! Supporter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Index funds!

First, max out your 401k, then your IRA, then find a Dow / S&P index fund and put the same amount into it every month/2 weeks/whatever set time frame you choose. But do it consistently.

Playing with individual stocks is usually a fool’s errand. I know better, and still....Ask me how much I’ve lost trying that s&!t.

JasonB699 and palmettomoon like this.
  6. JasonB699

JasonB699 Frontiersman

Rating
    100%
    I started later than I'd have liked, but started catching up in my 30's. It's really blossomed these past few years.

7. palmettomoon

palmettomoon NRA Life Member Wayne LaPierre & Chris Cox Hater Supporter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Do it young, please. Any amount saved is better than none. You'll be stunned at fast money can grow using some of the advice you've received above. Longer you wait the more you have to save and the less you'll be marketable (depending upon career) you might be at the end of your working life.

8. JasonB699

JasonB699 Frontiersman

Rating
    100%
    Great advice! My grandfather put a smallish amount into a mutual fund for a rainy day stash in the 90s...my grandmother has had close to $40k in mandatory withdrawals (thanks, gubment) and still has 2.5-3x the original deposit. It's a waiting game...as mentioned before, if you don't gamble on individual "hunches" it will compound nicely.

9. palmettomoon

palmettomoon NRA Life Member Wayne LaPierre & Chris Cox Hater Supporter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I'll give you an example of what I call fortuitous growth. I put a small amount of money into a single 401k with a previous employer in 2000. 19 years later it's grown 1,775% or 18 times the initial investment. I should have put a lot more into that fund.

10. moosensquirrel

moosensquirrel ODT Junkie!

Rating
    100%
    All fiat currencies eventually go to zero value and are in a race to the bottom as we speak. The USD is touted as a strong currency as it is in last place in the race. Regardless, unless your "investment" earns more than the real inflation rate (about 13% right now) you will be going backward. If you have currency to put at risk, it would be better to "speculate" rather than "invest".