• View counts are not updating correctly, we are looking into it now. Thanks!

Just getting into investing---fun!

The stock market is only a financial craigslist: anything that can be securitized and sold...will be sold. It has no relevance to the strength of an economy. It never loses value, the assets merely change hands. When the stock market crashes, only investors loose money. Keep an eye on the bond market. When the bond market crashes, governments go broke...and become very dangerous.

Calling the stock markets a “craigslist” is a joke...
The markets are absolutely tied to the economy and to forward sentiment about corporate earnings based on economic data...

Is there risk? Of course.. when the market resets your returns take a hit.. if you look back historically at the stock market there are consistent returns and growth.

Money is time and time is money, the key is living long. I started in 1984. I put 21% in for years then bumped to 25% in 1995. Started in 2000 buying Traditional IRA's doing the max for me and the wife to offset my taxes and each year I paid for at least one of the IRA's with our tax refund as it brought our taxable in come down considerable at $6,000.00 for each one of us, so in reality $12,000.00 IRA's cost us $6,000.00 instead of paying it to the IRS. I know it's taxable when we use it but it will be at a lesser income rate. Original OP you're smart for taking care of your future, if anyone has a 401k at the very least put in the max you can do usually 6% and as has already been said you'll be surprised on what it will add up too. Usually investing in a 401 k don't affect your bring home pay that much.

There is one investment that young to middle agers might consider now. And that is land. It peaked out in 2008 to 2010 and now has dropped to less half of that in many places, first drop I've seen in 70 years. Land doubled in the 1960's, stagnated in the 1970's, started moving up in the 1980's right on up to 2008 to 2010. This is a time to buy land and not to sell it. As our cities get to be a less desirable place to live people are moving out. And as our society gets worse and worse, people tend to move out of cities also. And it is a leveraged investment if you borrow money to buy it.

There is one investment that young to middle agers might consider now. And that is land. It peaked out in 2008 to 2010 and now has dropped to less half of that in many places, first drop I've seen in 70 years. Land doubled in the 1960's, stagnated in the 1970's, started moving up in the 1980's right on up to 2008 to 2010. This is a time to buy land and not to sell it. As our cities get to be a less desirable place to live people are moving out. And as our society gets worse and worse, people tend to move out of cities also. And it is a leveraged investment if you borrow money to buy it.

I Own 200 acres now... land they’re not making it any more...

The only problem with buying raw land is that lenders won't loan only about 60 to 70% depending on who you are and the property too.

Actually,

We did cash on all but 88 acres.
You can take 401K roll into a self directed IRA.
The IRA is custodian of the land and pays all expenses out of it. When we clear timber or parse out, all profits roll back into IRA.

It was a plan for diversification to not have everything in cash, 401K, or Roth..

Actually,

We did cash on all but 88 acres.
You can take 401K roll into a self directed IRA.
The IRA is custodian of the land and pays all expenses out of it. When we clear timber or parse out, all profits roll back into IRA.

It was a plan for diversification to not have everything in cash, 401K, or Roth..

This is true if you're 59 1/2 and it don't cost you to take money out of the 401 k because if you take money out you still have to pay taxes on it. I think they were speaking of young and middle age. if you're under 59 1/2 you pay a penalty also.

This is true if you're 59 1/2 and it don't cost you to take money out of the 401 k because if you take money out you still have to pay taxes on it. I think they were speaking of young and middle age. if you're under 59 1/2 you pay a penalty also.

Incorrect! You can move to a self directed IRA at any age if you have a 401k from a previous job.. No Taxes or penalties..

Trust me. The self directed IRA purchases the land..

Incorrect! You can move to a self directed IRA at any age if you have a 401k from a previous job.. No Taxes or penalties..

Trust me. The self directed IRA purchases the land..
Don't know about a self directed IRA but a Traditional IRA you will pay the tax on it that you saved from tax exempting on your income taxes.

Back
Top Bottom