• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Just getting into investing---fun!

anyone got an opinion on (LL) lumber liquidators? they had a huge spike about 10 years ago (at 75 a share) and have held at 10 to 11 bucks ever since. perhaps undervalue?

Incorrect! You can move to a self directed IRA at any age if you have a 401k from a previous job.. No Taxes or penalties..

Trust me. The self directed IRA purchases the land..

Interesting. I have a 401k sitting from a previous job that I haven't moved yet, and if love to purchase some land with it versus shares. If I understand correctly, the raw land can't be used by you or relatives, right?

Interesting. I have a 401k sitting from a previous job that I haven't moved yet, and if love to purchase some land with it versus shares. If I understand correctly, the raw land can't be used by you or relatives, right?

No you can use it you can’t build or inhabit. We have 88 acres of Pine, creek and hardwoods we hunt. 140 total. We will harvest Timber off it in 5-7 years. The sale of timber will go back into the self directed IRA. We will burn, and replant with pine.

Google Self Directed IRA. I used a bank in Madison, GA. They have been awesome. If you would like contact info PM me and I will pass along a POC that you can chat with further.

So I haven’t looked at my 401k in about 6 months.....I think I’m happy with this, lol.

976C7175-64DC-460D-8BAD-A6355C54AD69.jpeg

Actually,

We did cash on all but 88 acres.
You can take 401K roll into a self directed IRA.
The IRA is custodian of the land and pays all expenses out of it. When we clear timber or parse out, all profits roll back into IRA.

It was a plan for diversification to not have everything in cash, 401K, or Roth..
Awesome! I had never heard of this until you mentioned it here. It's definitely worth considering.

So I haven’t looked at my 401k in about 6 months.....I think I’m happy with this, lol.

View attachment 2203259

Nice.

However, that's about average right now for YTD returns in 401K's unless you've done very poorly selecting your classes. Sadly, you're likely only back to where you were in market value 18 months ago before the big dips.

FWIW, my YTD returns are 20% with the investments I've chosen in my Schwab 401K, only pulled down a bit by some international stocks. Schwab was foisted upon me by an employer change from The Principal, where I was doing much better the last 10 years.

Google Montana Power...utility company, got to be rock solid right??….Lost my A$$, bought it at $40 a share, sold at 40 cents a share.

But I have done much better on other stocks....buy mutual funds, not individual stocks, much easier, safer and less stress.

Back
Top Bottom