• View counts are not updating correctly, we are looking into it now. Thanks!

Just getting into investing---fun!

You can’t get much lower of a standard of living than me. Car is a 2005 and paid off. No CC debt. Just a mortgage. Just don’t make much money

Is there any way you can learn/develop a higher paying skill; tech school, on line ed, practice something at home, get a learning position with a tech company like A/C or electrical or painting. Drive around your county and see what is going on and where work is going on and what kind of jobs are associated with any activity.

Have you ever painted your house? Painters make pretty good money. Practice and develop a good skill to paint with a brush. I would never paint my house with a sprayer, always used a brush as you get a better paint coating. Probably painted my house 8 times in last 47 years.

If one just has to get into the stock market, try to find a good no-load mutual fund, one that you can get into and out of quickly, i.e. over the counter. It is analogous to riding a bus driven by a professional driver. Anyone who has ridden from outside of Chicago to O'hare on in a limo will understand this.

Regardless, do your research first.

Marks Twain once said that there are two times that a man should not invest in the stock market: 1. is when he can't afford it, and 2. when he can.

You have no friends in the market.

If one just has to get into the stock market, try to find a good no-load mutual fund, one that you can get into and out of quickly, i.e. over the counter. It is analogous to riding a bus driven by a professional driver. Anyone who has ridden from outside of Chicago to O'hare on in a limo will understand this.

Regardless, do your research first.

Marks Twain once said that there are two times that a man should not invest in the stock market: 1. is when he can't afford it, and 2. when he can.

You have no friends in the market.
If you're going to quote someone use the whole quote. Here is the whole quote, Mark Twain did invest in the market.

STOCK MARKET

OCTOBER: This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks in. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August, and February.
- Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar

There are two times in a man's life when he should not speculate: when he can't afford it and when he can.
- Following the Equator, Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar

Is there any way you can learn/develop a higher paying skill; tech school, on line ed, practice something at home, get a learning position with a tech company like A/C or electrical or painting. Drive around your county and see what is going on and where work is going on and what kind of jobs are associated with any activity.
I build race car engines now. Kind of a specialized field. Went to tech school and got a degree in Motorsports Technologies. Should have don’t something different I guess.

I build race car engines now. Kind of a specialized field. Went to tech school and got a degree in Motorsports Technologies. Should have don’t something different I guess.

WOW, that sounds like a good skill to have. In the '70's when I had a 12 mile commute on secondary roads I would buy 200 dollar cars with engines locked down, rebuild them and use them for work cars for 5 or 6 years. Then around 1990 I bought current year low mileage cars that were totaled and repaired them for our own use. Still have a 1988 Toyota pickup I rebuilt in 1989.

There is a difference between inflation and supply and demand price influence. Inflation is no more caused by rising prices than hurricanes are caused by falling trees.

http://www.shadowstats.com/alternate_data/inflation-charts Look at the 1980 based chart, the correct way to calculate inflation. Current gubmint calculations leave out all the things we need to survive like food , energy, electricity, etc.

Hardly a tin foil hat. As long as one stores his real wealth in fiat USD currency (mostly 1's and 0's in cyberspace), it can be devalued (stolen) with the stroke of a key. It will go to zero value, regardless. One can ignore reality if one likes, but one will not be able to ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Inflation is not caused by rising prices. Inflation is rising prices. We can argue about causes and effects but let's at least agree to use generally accepted definitions.

Shadowstats is BS. Many government inflation metrics do understate inflation to varied degrees, and it's not unreasonable to point it out as well as come up with an alternative, more realistic inflation curve. However, John Williams did not do that. Instead, he went full retard in the opposite direction. Never go full retard. But I am sure he makes a good living peddling financial advice to gold bugs and doomsday preppers.

one does not own land, they merely rent it from the local/state gubmint. Try not-paying your property tax.

One does not own gold and silver. One merely pays for safekeeping it until the government decides to take it.

We do not have "money" in this economy, we have "fiat currency" with no inherent value. one may have 10 million and I might have 1 thousand, but when the fiat USD goes to it's inherent value, we both have nothing but air.

When is that going to happen? Do you have a date or a timeframe? Cause you know, in the long run, we are all dead.

Sounds like a great strategy would be to borrow as much money as possible for as long as possible to buy businesses, houses, land and durable assets. Just think about, buy many more silver dollars today than you could otherwise, and pay back your loans in the future with paper dollars that are worth nothing.

Hardly, I am just offering a clue or two for those who appear to have none. Buy gold and silver, after you are out of debt (I do not mean you personally), and have stocked up on the necessary things your family will need when the monetary system finally collapses. Gold and silver remain constant and have been reliably used for trade for over 6000 years. The central banks are stocking up now. Time to back up the truck

The monetary system will collapse when the government decides it's no longer needed. Do you really think that's going to happen anytime soon?

Have you stopped for a second to consider that maybe it's not the masses that don't have a clue but beliefs you hold as facts are not?

Amen: even whiskey was used as currency in our short history as a nation. It was unreliable however, as it could be watered down, reducing the quality and effectiveness of the whiskey (currency). It is the same with fiat paper/cyber currency today: when fiat dollars are created out of thin air and monetized, they dilute the purchasing power of all the dollars in circulation. In other words, the gubmint is stealing the purchasing power of your fiat dollars. But wait....there's more: these fiat dollars are sold as treasuries and go on the books as a loan, so those who work for a living, get to pay it back twice, with interest. What a country!!

When a train is coming, it is best to get off the tracks.

You confuse the functions of the Treasury and of the Federal Reserve Bank. Things don't work the way you think they work.

You can chose to be enlightened and live your life in fear and anticipation of TEOTWAWKI. Others, myself included, are perfectly content with earning and accumulating soon-to-be-worthless fiat paper currency and use it to acquire material goods and experiences. Ignorance sure is a bliss!

If you're going to quote someone use the whole quote. Here is the whole quote, Mark Twain did invest in the market.

STOCK MARKET

OCTOBER: This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks in. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August, and February.
- Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar

There are two times in a man's life when he should not speculate: when he can't afford it and when he can.
- Following the Equator, Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar

Question regarding your strategy of acquiring land via IRA.
After years of appreciation how would one take RMDs? I suppose you could sell it at some point and leave the proceeds in the IRA. Then take your annual RMDs.
Trying to avoid any IRS penalty for failing to take RMD.

Back
Top Bottom