• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Just got a gut check on the economy!!

Your "gut check" on the economy isn't on government-diddled gas prices or their BS about new home starts, or any of their consumer price indexed nonsense.

All one need do is carefully scan through the grocery store and see it's wildly increased prices to see things are bad.
Yeah most common items are up at least 50% . Kroger 3 Minute Microwave Pizzas have been 10 for $10.00 for so long I can't remember. But now they're 2 for $3.00. Great Value honey buns and cinnamon rolls I used to buy for the shop used to be $2.89. Then they were $3.49 as of last winter. Now they're $4.49. They were just barely worth it at the original price. Meanwhile Dollar Tree needs to change the name to Dollar and a Quarter Tree. Cause there's nothing in there for a dollar anymore. Last week a bought a quart of store brand bleach at Walmart for $3.00. I did that because the gallon size was $6.75.
How in the hell is bleach suddenly twice as much as 87 octane gas?!

A large part of what you see slowing down are projects that were being funded on cheap credit. As interest rates rise, it squeezes the profit out of the proforma. Approved projects that started up over a year ago are wrapping up and new projects are getting put on hold until interest rates come back down or market prices rise enough to cover the spread.

I have several large projects in for LDP and for building permit. I am marching forward as we are not in leveraged positions, but utilizing cash. While I do see a slowdown in construction as a whole, it could very well lower the prices to construct through competition. That can keep our margins intact and further our new development starts. I for one am happy to see material lead times coming back to normal, maybe some outliers, but even that is starting to drive down some of the cost.

Across the country I think we will see a general slowdown, but I am seeing so much growth here in the Southeast that I think we will fare better than most. Credit woes aside, there is still a lot of demand, but I am seeing some pullback. It wouldn’t be bad to back off the 100mph work schedule I have and maybe get a chance to catch my breath a little. I still have plans to spend well into the nine digit mark easily over the next year. That should keep a few boots dirty until it heats up again.

Take this for what it’s worth. Construction has been going crazy in Georgia. We’ve been working 6 long days non stop for years. All I’ve heard is the economy is going to collapse for years and I hope it doesn’t. I just got a call from a big player telling me the entire economy is about to slow way down and prepare. We’ve been preparing, but my God it’s terrifying to hear it from this person as he knows!!!! I thought and still think we will feel it this fall and hopefully just a slow down and not a collapse.
So, whatever you do, don't stop buying thing or spending any money! Don't cut back even a little bit cause that's what's going to crash the economy. When one person stops spending and doing it cause a snowball domino wreck. By local and buy often.

So, whatever you do, don't stop buying thing or spending any money! Don't cut back even a little bit cause that's what's going to crash the economy. When one person stops spending and doing it cause a snowball domino wreck. By local and buy often.
My wife and kids have that covered!!!

Back
Top Bottom