• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

just mad

if needed are you willing to stand along side of me in front of the theater with a sign?

• yes

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • no

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • dont choose this one. i will spring for 5 buck pizza and cold water

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters
But if the cop is off duty he is NOTHING but a security guard. When employed by someone other than his department a cop is nobody special.

Define "color of law".
I really don't think you're understanding the situation and are displaying a lot of misplaced anger.

First of all, as Dennis stated, cops don't become "not cops" just because they're not "on duty". I have full authority to make an arrest "off duty" so long as I follow my department's SOP's (ie. have badge and gun).

Second, the cop isn't a "not cop" because he's working he's doing extra duty work at the movie theater. I'm sure every contract is different but its a contract between the business and the department. We as individuals don't just go up to a business and say, "Hey, I'm a cop and have a badge and a gun that I'll bring with me if you hire me." Not quite how that works . . . so, please do explain the misappropriation of government funds (or however you put it) because I'm not seeing it. The business didn't hire a security guard, they hired a police officer from the police department.

Here's what I'm seeing. You're angry because the business gets to make a stupid rule about not allowing guns. I agree, it's pretty dumb but it's their right and we certainly don't want to go around violating people's rights now do we. You can't take your anger out on the business because as I just stated, it's their right. So, who next? Oh yeah, the guy that gets to confront you about the stupid rule. Well guess what, it absolutely makes no difference if it's the kid selling popcorn, an unarmed security guard, or a police officer. They all have every and equal right to ask questions and if the business and its management so chooses, to ask you to leave the property.

You're upset because with it being a police officer because if you pitch a temper tantrum you will be arrested (and you will be when it rises to the point of Disorderly Conduct which is a violation of State Law). If it was just a popcorn seller or a guy with a badge but no gun you could pitch your fit and then leave before the cops got there.

There are no public funds being spent so your argument of "your tax-payer money" is ridiculous. If the business wanted a security guard they would have hired a security guard. No, they wanted a certified law enforcement officer, so they contacted the police department, found out how much it would cost to have a uniformed officer with a patrol car posted there and then they paid XX amount.

It is absolutely no different then business staff seeing you with a gun and then calling 911 to ask that you be removed. Only in this case the business paid the police department to have a cop stay there and not be distracted by other 911 calls.

I really don't think you're understanding the situation and are displaying a lot of misplaced anger.

First of all, as Dennis stated, cops don't become "not cops" just because they're not "on duty". I have full authority to make an arrest "off duty" so long as I follow my department's SOP's (ie. have badge and gun).

Second, the cop isn't a "not cop" because he's working he's doing extra duty work at the movie theater. I'm sure every contract is different but its a contract between the business and the department. We as individuals don't just go up to a business and say, "Hey, I'm a cop and have a badge and a gun that I'll bring with me if you hire me." Not quite how that works . . . so, please do explain the misappropriation of government funds (or however you put it) because I'm not seeing it. The business didn't hire a security guard, they hired a police officer from the police department.

Here's what I'm seeing. You're angry because the business gets to make a stupid rule about not allowing guns. I agree, it's pretty dumb but it's their right and we certainly don't want to go around violating people's rights now do we. You can't take your anger out on the business because as I just stated, it's their right. So, who next? Oh yeah, the guy that gets to confront you about the stupid rule. Well guess what, it absolutely makes no difference if it's the kid selling popcorn, an unarmed security guard, or a police officer. They all have every and equal right to ask questions and if the business and its management so chooses, to ask you to leave the property.

You're upset because with it being a police officer because if you pitch a temper tantrum you will be arrested (and you will be when it rises to the point of Disorderly Conduct which is a violation of State Law). If it was just a popcorn seller or a guy with a badge but no gun you could pitch your fit and then leave before the cops got there.

There are no public funds being spent so your argument of "your tax-payer money" is ridiculous. If the business wanted a security guard they would have hired a security guard. No, they wanted a certified law enforcement officer, so they contacted the police department, found out how much it would cost to have a uniformed officer with a patrol car posted there and then they paid XX amount.

It is absolutely no different then business staff seeing you with a gun and then calling 911 to ask that you be removed. Only in this case the business paid the police department to have a cop stay there and not be distracted by other 911 calls.
I think he was saying the use of out gun and patrol car and uniform should but be allowed because tax payer paid for it.

oh ok . . . I might have gotten confused after reading 10 pages . . .

. . . and I just drank a bunch of pre-workout so I'm all hyper now . . . ( maybe I am the one with the misplaced anger????) . . . lol

Ok finished reading your post and yes and no...

Not mad about business making stupid rule. well am but not the topic. All I'm talking about is the cop is using his authority as a cop to make money and in doing so selling the "police" to the private business. It's not the man that makes it the police. So I have no issue with the man making money. I have no issue with the man using the training and experience he has, whatever his training and experience and wherever obtained. But a COP, the total image, uniform, badge, gun...these total up to authority. A security guard on the other hand is private force. They do not equate. A cop can work(in any place he wants for all I care) as long as he isn't wearing the badge and uniform, because then he is carrying the total image and authority. In order for the law to remain neutral it has to be free of the image of taint and corruption. Ok, well it SHOULD. Selling the image of a rented COP to a movie(or any other) is wrong. If a cop moonlights, just buy a uniform security guard shirt and badge. Done. Happy happy.

What YOU don't realize is that(or maybe you DO) when these places hire you they are hiring more than YOU they are hiring the tax payers money to take care of you. They are hiring the citys lawyers to take care of your errors or even the errors you get accused of but didn't commit. They are passing the buck. With a cop on the payroll his medical is paid, his life and liability insurance are provided by the city, his training is all paid for. Hell, we can even run to court and while the tax payer lawyers protect the cop and we can hide behind him.

What I'm really "upset" about is that cops think they can take all the material they work with and use it on the civilian market to make money on the side. Why can't soldiers wear their uniforms and take M4's, M60's etc and get security jobs? Why can't Secret Service jobs take MP5's from the white house on weekends and guard rock stars? Taking work property to make money on the side is theft(misappropriation of equipment) for everyone...except cops. And if a security guard has to pay to get bonded and a company is liable for his actions, how is it legal for a cop to be taking advantage of the tax payers largess to cover them for liability while they work for a private company?

And as I stated before:

i.qkme.me_3s3k1d.jpg
so you dont have a good point to bring to the table?

Ok, I sorta understand your argument . . . but not really. (lol)

Here's my take on it, a cop is a cop is a cop. Where ever, when ever. I'm sure every "deal, contract, whatever" is different but in my experience the business pays the department an XX amount for the use of the department's vehicle, gas, equipment. So when it comes to "tax-payers", first off the business itself is definitely paying taxes probably much more so then you or I. Second, they are highly likely paying extra for usage of the police equipment so as to not come out of the annual budget for that department. I can't remember the exact amount but it was an hourly rate the business had to pay the department for vehicle/equipment usage. Yeah, I could see your point in the event of a situation going into a law suit but in reality is it all that different then if the cop responded to the situation from .5 miles away? If a situation occurs they (the business) are going to call 911 and a cop is going to respond regardless. I would think that one being there from the beginning would prevent more "lawsuits" then it would actually create.

I guess the way I see it is the cop is "on duty". He is in jurisdiction, he is dressed in uniform, and I'm sure he is within his department's SOPs. All that's happening is the business is paying "extra" to have the cop stationed at their business instead of just riding by every so often. He's going to enforce the company policy just as he would if they called 911 and asked him to respond. If a situation rises to a State Law violation then an arrest will probably be made just as if they called 911.

The business is a tax-payer, as am I, and every other officer out here. Your paycheck isn't getting smaller because the movies have a cop.

Back
Top Bottom