• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Just traded in my White 2017 GTR for...

TheSnail

Default rank <2500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
61   0
Reaction score
A white 2020 GTR!

Ok it's quite a bit more than that. This is 1 of 9 Nismo Track Editions they made for 2020 only. About as rare as frog hair, but I'll get into that later.

I had a white on white 2017 GTR (Standard edition) that I bought new in 2017. I reached out to a local Nissan dealer to sell them mine, and they gave me a fair quote. I was planning on selling it to them and picking up a 991 GT3RS. Reason I wanted that one was because it is pretty raw, where the GTR is a bit too comfy. My buddy has one and two months back we raced them up and down Blood mountain. The stock GTR and the stock 991 GT3RS were neck and neck in the twisties, but the GTR would pull the RS, especially on the top end.

I drove the GT3RS and though it was slower in pretty much all aspects, it was more visceral and exciting. More raw. After that I started shopping for them and Ferrari 458s. I looked at the 2020+ (Huge update) GTR Nismo, but those are crazy money now and days. When they came out with the updated Nismo in 2020 with a huge price increase to 210K. People thought they were too expensive. Now and days, a lightly used one is 270K, and a "like" new one is 300-330K.... I love Nissan, but their is no way in hell I'm going to spend 300K for one. Maaaaybe 200K but at 300K, I'm getting a Ferrari, McLaren or a Lambo.

Anyways, car shopping there was a special edition GTR called the T-spec. It is a final edition 2021 GTR that comes in jade/green with green interior and gold Nismo wheels. Its got the same engine as and power as my 2017, but comes with the ginormous 410mm (16.15") Carbon Ceramic rotors with upsized yellow calipers. The brakes are the main reason I was interested in the T-spec. Sticker was 140ish on it.... However.... Its a pipe dream to think you can get one for anywhere near that. I called one dealer I found that had one with price not listed and they said they are asking 120K over sticker.... That's 260K... I like carbon ceramic brakes, but I'm not paying 100K for them. I searched around and I found a T-spec in Texas for 206K with 40miles on it. I was tempted and the GF wanted me to get that instead of the GT3RS. Then last week I checked, and the texas guy bumped the price from 206 to 225. At that point it was not worth it since it was basically the car I already had, but with CCBs.

Back to Autotrader and cars.com again.... So every other day, I would price check GTRs as there value is slowly creeping up (discontinued after 2021). Last Saturday, I checked GTR prices during lunch, and one local one just listed hrs ago and by the same dealer that quoted buying my GTR... It was a 2020 listed at 150K, which is on the high end for "standard" GTRs but not uncommon. It was another white one like my 2017. I glanced at the thumbnail, and noticed the calipers looked yellow.... WTH?...I clicked on it and it said it was a Track edition. Sure enough it has the Carbon Ceramic brakes off the Nismo... Then it said it had the ENGINE out of the Nismo... I was like W in T, H!?!?

I did a quick search and it turns out Nissan did make 9 (NINE) 2020 Track Editions. It undersold the Nismo and was discontinued right after it was introduced. I was aware of previous Track edition GTRs but just like the 2020 Nismo was a completely different animal, as was the 2020 Track edition. Nissan made the 2020 Track edition pretty much a Nismo. And by pretty much a Nismo, I mean it uses the 600hp engine and tune directly out of the Nismo. That includes the new for 2020 ultra fast spool turbocharges, pulled directly of the GT3 GTR Race car... The transmission tuning is from the Nismo. It uses the entire suspension setup out the Nismo. The chassis has the same Nismo adhesive stiffening (like spot welding). The 1" wider fenders made out of carbon fiber were used from the Nismo. The roof, trunk are carbon fiber pulled from the Nismo. The Seats and carbon fiber interior panels out of the Nismo. It rides on featherweight, forged aluminum rims from the Nismo. Its essentially the same car as the 2020+ 270K-330K Nismo, minus the rear spoiler, front and rears bumper and different gauge cluster with alcantara dash. The 2020 Track edition and Nismo's are the only GTRs built in a entirely different plant than the other GTR models.

A that point I was shocked the 2020+ track edition was so extensively modified from the factory. I was always aware of the pre-2020 track editions, that were pretty much a standard GTR with Nismo suspension, chassis stiffening, different (non-Nismo) wheels, Nismo Seats, carbon wing, and brake cooling ducts. So it looks like Nissan as a final hoorah made the last Track editions as a more subtle looking Nismo. A wolf in sheep's clothing if you will. Sticker for the 2020 with the only two options of CCBs and carbon roof was 170K. The car even with 17K miles is valued in the 180-200K neighborhood. If it was like new with about 1XXmiles, it would easily be 250K in todays market. Being they listed listed in hours ago at 150K, I knew I had to buy instantly. I jumped up, grab the keys and drove an hour there. Bought it an hour after that. I even still managed to negotiate them down from 150 to 145.5K lol. I pretty much stole it. I traded in my 2017 for 108K and $7100 in sales tax from the trade-in went towards the 10K in sales tax of the Track edition. I also negotiated two full details, paint correction for front bumper chips a PPF for the front and roof.

I traded in my GTR and picked up this new one on Monday. Then handed it back on Wednesday for detail and PPF and just picked it up yesterday morning, and they had it out front taking pictures of it. The regional manager said they're still getting calls on it, accusing him of not knowing what he had and listing it for way too cheep. He admittedly did not know it was as rare as it was, and did not price in the carbon ceramic brakes or the Nismo engine... You could hear the regret in his voice, but as he said the deal was done, can't take it back now. For once in my life, I've done the dealer in. Normally they give me the shaft. I could flip it for a 40K+ profit pretty easily, but I'm going to keep it and drive it till the wheels fall off.

As far as how it compares to my standard GTR... It is a night and day difference. The best comparison would be like going from a 911 Carrara to a GT3RS. The carbon ceramic rotors take off 65lbs from the steel rotors. That is an astronomical number to take off rotational mass. Makes it feel like it weighs 1000lbs less. The engine with a mere 35hp bump from 565hp to "600"hp is substantially faster than my 565hp 2017. The 2020+ Nismo turbos pulled straight off the GT3 race car, spool 20% faster. The 2020 Track edition is the lightest (3830) GTR ever made, paired with the most powerful Nismo engine with quick spooling 2020+ turbos amounts to the fastest/quickest factory GTR made. The 2020 track edition does 0-60 in 2.5 seconds down from 2.9 seconds from the standard GTR. Quarter mile is down to 10.5 seconds down from 10.9 seconds. A stock standard GTR already pulls like a freight train, but this new one is just giggle fast.

The suspension is incredibly stiff. Easily twice as stiff as a standard GTR. More stiff than my buddies 991.1 GT3RS that I drove. Some reviewers say it is too stiff, but I love it. I was looking for rawness, and this Track edition is a legit Track edition. Nissan wasn't just throwing around gimmicky marketing names. The stock titanium exhaust could be a bit louder, but the new tune for the 2020+ Nismo engine burbles and pops between shifts and downshifts which is entertaining. Overall it produces the raw and visceral experience I was looking for.

I'm going to modify it lightly to +200hp and -200LBS. I'll retain the stock GT3 turbos for sure. I want instant spool as I'm building it to be a mountain monster. It will still pull high 9s trapping ~140 in a straight line, but I am going for an ultamate track/twisties/mountain rd build. The stock titanium exhaust with steel midpipe will be replaced by a downpipes back titanium Akrapovic Evolution exhaust, for an additional 30lbs weight reduction and mo powah. AMS carbon intakes and Cobb tune for 750-800bhp. A simple stock engine/transmission setup with even faster turbo response. Powered Nismo/Recaro front seats are gonna be replaced with 70lb lighter fixed Sparco carbon buckets. Rear seats replace with carbon panel kit. Stock Rims and heavy runflat tires get replaced with 45lb lighter and .5" wider Forgiline GA1Rs and Pilot Cup2s. Battery replaced with a 20lb lighter Antigravity Li. That's pretty much it.

As my first purchase for it, yesterday I ordered a set of Proform digital car scales for it. I'll document the stock weight once they arrive, then go from there. Its already pretty ridiculous as it is, but should be my dream car/setup for the mountains in about year. Anyways thought I'd share the new purchase.

Thanks, Snail

My 2017 GTR going with a mountain drive with my buddies GT3RS and Supercharged Arial Atom.

20220326_101924.jpg

20220326_111010.jpg

The New 2020 Track Edition

20220618_191440.jpg

20220618_191913.jpg

20220618_191518.jpg

20220618_174221.jpg

20220618_191752.jpg

20220618_192531.jpg

20220618_191844.jpg

I love the way they did the twin throttle bodies and twin MAF sensors one going to each Bank of the engine. Although I bet you it's a b**** to tune I like the way it's set up. If you can find somebody to tune that engine I bet you could extract another 80 horsepower out of it. A simple timing adjustment and air fuel ratio adjustment and limit the torque management system would net you a proper amount of power.

Back
Top Bottom