• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Just what in the heck.....

Funny, I buy 10/22 parts to build up a fancy azz raffle that will shoot gnats off a dog's pecker and I end up forking over $1,400 or $1,500 by the time I put a scope on it. Then, when I "test the waters" of the River Ruger to see what it's worth, the value is around $450 - $500.

So for me, it's always "heavy in YOUR favor"! Sumthin' ain't raht, here!
Unfortunately that's just how it works. People see it's a 10/22 and don't see the value of all the custom parts you added to it. Same as when you see a custom Glock on here. Nobody wants to buy a $600+ Glock even if it has a fancy trigger, upgraded barrel, and Trijicon sights.

The definition of "fair market value" of Item X is what an interested, willing, financially able buyer would pay for it, and this price must also be one a motivated seller would sell it for. That implicitly means "the interested buyer" must be among that number of people who WANT item X. It's on their shopping list.

Now, if such an interested buyer says "I'll trade you my Item Y for your Item X" we cannot assume the owner of Item X is even interested in Item Y. He may not be in the market for one of those. The price / value might have to be heavily in his favor.

So, bottom line, the "FMV" dollar amount will often apply to only ONE of the guns in the proposed trade, but the other gun isn't really wanted by one party, so you can't expect it to be traded at full market value.

does it mean ''heavy in my favor''? You have a firearm you post as worth $600 but want a trade value of $800 or trade must be ''heavy in my favor''. Is it worth $600 or $800? What does weight have to do with it? Soon as I see ''heavy in my favor'' I'm out don't care what it is.

Ok rant over, let the mud slingin' begin.
Example: you list a Glock. I offer in trade a Hi-Point. Heaviness is in your favor. :pound:

Funny, I buy 10/22 parts to build up a fancy azz raffle that will shoot gnats off a dog's pecker and I end up forking over $1,400 or $1,500 by the time I put a scope on it. Then, when I "test the waters" of the River Ruger to see what it's worth, the value is around $450 - $500.

Persuade your prospective buyer by explaining that a 10/22 is now considered by some to be an assault rifle. That should add at least double the value. :thumb:

Preaching in the pasture. I never understood how or why people list a trade value that's more than the cash value price. Value is value.
The time I'd say it makes sense is say you have a new AR15 that retails for $500. Well it's worth $500 (+tax/shipping really) but no one is likely to pay you that (since they can order/buy one themselves for that price). So maybe you'd be willing to sell it for $400 cash or willing to trade it for another same value firearm ($500 TV).

But to take a $500 firearm and say the trade value is $700 because you've rubbed your greasy hands on it, you're an idiot.

The answer to this problem is stop wasting money trying to buy skill, training and good practice is where it's at. You can have a stupid accurate 10/22 for not much money. Burning $1500 on a custom 22LR semiauto and expecting to get your money back out of it is insanity.

Unfortunately that's just how it works. People see it's a 10/22 and don't see the value of all the custom parts you added to it. Same as when you see a custom Glock on here. Nobody wants to buy a $600+ Glock even if it has a fancy trigger, upgraded barrel, and Trijicon sights.
Truthfully, or at least in my opinion, custom is always a risk. You may put $600 worth of custom parts on a gun and it may worth that add on to you. But unless my tastes are like yours, I may not be inclined to value the gun the same as you. Often I buy a gun and set it up for me. I understand that many will not like it as much as me and so I take a lot of those parts back off before I trade or sell it unless the seller specifically asks for them or I have no other gun that those parts could be used on.

Back
Top Bottom