• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

K & L frame Smith & Wessons lets see them!

Some say that a 3 inch barrel M65 is the all around best CCW revolver. It has developed a cult following.

The thing is though that these guns cannot be a fed a steady diet of hot 125 grain .357 mag loads. Shoot .38 out of them and carry the hot stuff.

I beg to differ. Not picking a fight or anything...but I think the 386 (any variant) is the ultimate CCW revolver in this size. Of course, I am a little jaded - but anything else in this size is HEAVY compared to a 386PD. In fact...I got the Night Guard variant because the PD variant is almost too light. Neither is comfortable to shoot for any length of time...but you can hardly notice an 18-oz. (or 24 oz.) gun on your if you've got a good belt and holster. I can carry mine as long as the shirt I am wearing is long enough to cover the holster...even in the summer.

Model 10
i600.photobucket.com_albums_tt86_Wheeler686_S_20and_20W_M_10Left.jpg

Model 12
i600.photobucket.com_albums_tt86_Wheeler686_S_20and_20W_013.jpg

Model 686 CS 1
i600.photobucket.com_albums_tt86_Wheeler686_S_20and_20W_Picture001.jpg

I'll have to take some pictures of my 3" 65 The Ultimate CCW revolver. ;)

Wheeler

I've had a few but this is the only one still with me. My parents gave this to me as a college graduation gift.

IMGP0825.JPG

Here's the other 19 I had, I thought it'd make a perfect carry gun since I had the one above for home defense and a 642 for pocket carry. It neither felt right in my hands or carried comfortably for me so I sold it. Luckily I broke even, and since then (and after the two below) I've figured out I just don't like round butt grips on anything other than a J frame.

IMG_7451.JPG

I picked this 586 up from bullseye for $469 about two years ago. I initially passed it up, believing it to be a franken-gun. I happened to ask about it on the S&W forum and was told it was a limited run for Lew Horton. I don't remember the exact number but only 200 or 400 were made. A S&W letter later backed this story up. I put some nice looking wood grips on there to replace the hideous looking Hogue Bantams that came from the factory (which in my opinion make no sense at all on a gun of this size, and the wood grips also converted it to a square butt shape). My dad has it now and neither of us have ever shot it.

IMGP0777.JPG

Last one is a 686+ snubbie.

IMGP1100.JPG

I don't have pictures but I've also had a 64, 65 and a model 10 snub

Last edited:
Firewall, I'm really digging that 586. That's a sweet looking setup.

Thanks, I hope that when I get back to where I can afford guns just as "range toys" I can get it back, right now I'm mostly focused on carry/defense guns and I don't think it does anything for me the 19 doesn't.

Here's how it looked from the factory. Again, I don't get the choice in grips. It didn't balance well at all with these Hogues

IMGP0775.JPG

Thanks, I hope that when I get back to where I can afford guns just as "range toys" I can get it back, right now I'm mostly focused on carry/defense guns and I don't think it does anything for me the 19 doesn't.

Here's how it looked from the factory. Again, I don't get the choice in grips. It didn't balance well at all with these Hogues

IMGP0775.JPG

Wow! Those grips made a world of difference in the appearance! Hopefully you can get it back some day soon.

Back
Top Bottom