• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Kayak fishers questions on Boats

appoutgasignnew.jpg

Love my Jackson Cuda 12. I'm 6'4" and weigh 220lbs. No problem at all and very comfortable. Stable as a rock. I fish for stripers on Lanier in it regularly and never have to worry about the chop or wakes from bigger boats. It just rides right over the waves regardless of what angle they come from. It's a little over a grand and if you're like me you'll eventually do some customized rigging, but it's very fishable as it comes from the store. Seat is great, can be set at two heights, can adjust the angle of the back and comes with adjustable lumbar support.

cuda.jpg

I am just getting into this with my son and really enjoying it. I bought one less expensive boat to try out this spring. Had to make sure the boy and I enjoyed the Kayaks first before I spent money on two. The one purchased is a Field and Stream Eagle Talon 12 footer, sit on top yak. Being we both enjoy it I am passing that boat to my son and looking for a little nicer one for myself. I am stuck on two and wanted some opinions of you YAK fishers. I am not closed on one of these two, so if you have a different model that you think i should look at. Please post info. Thanks,

The FS talon is a good boat. Stable, tracks well, good equipment and plenty of storage room. But no dry storage space. The foot pegs are a little on the flimsy side and the seat is lacking cushion and back support to make a long fishing trip. My son is a lot smaller than me and the seat does not bother him. So this is what I am familiar with.

The boats I am looking at are Feel Free Lure 11.5 and Vibe Sea ghost 130. Does anyone have experience with these? I really want to stay under the $1000 mark. And the Feel Free's are not there. Reviews on line are pretty stand up for these models as well. Just always looking for a personal experienced opinion from someone who has owned multiple different kayaks. I will not be using GPS or fish locators so that is not an issue. Looking for all day comfort in a seat and plenty of room for tackle bags and rods as well as dry storage spot for phone and wallet. Would like to stick to a 11+ length as well. The Vibe seams to come with more options that the Lure for less money. But is there a reason for that? Also using for light river fishing, small lakes here in North GA and farm ponds.

Thanks for your time and any information that you can give!

Matt
People don't 'listen.... ;)
In YOUR PRICE RANGE the Vibe has an excellent reputation. I'm not familiar with the Feel Free. I personally have never once used my 'dry' storage and in fact many manufacturers seem to be eliminating it altogether. For example, the newish Pescador Pro http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/perception-pescador-pro-120-fishing-kayak has eliminated what was a very large full length dry storage option (I have that previous model). Ascends don't have dry storage either. For ME.... seating comfort is the VAST majority of what I'm after. Elevated and adjustable are key. Dry bags are cheap (having said that, I don't have any, don't need any). If you eliminate that requirement you have a lot more options obviously.
(My buddy has that Talon 12'. He got a great deal on it new and is happy. Granted, it's not getting a ton of use.)

Kayak fishing has it's place, but as far as comfort, the two definitely don't go together.
I have to disagree. If it's the right yak and set up right they can be very comfortable. I have spent many hours in mine and have never been uncomfortable. Mine is a sit on top and that means I can reposition my legs easily, so that has a lot to do with it. It also has a very good seat.

Back
Top Bottom