• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Kayak Fishing Thread

Big fish? Pics....or....you know the saying!

Sounds like fun. I have never paddled the Hooch.
I didn't take any fish pics. The way it was going I'm sure I'd have immediately dropped it in the river.
I also need to stick that ruler tape on the boat.

First top water experience for my son. He just turned 9 and asked for a top water lure. Hmm... what could possibly go wrong with 6 hooks and my boy in his yak on the water? 43 degrees on Memorial Day morning up North and he worked that top water plug just on the deep side of a sandbar and a nice bass nailed it for him. Watching him get pulled around in his yak and then try to get the fish aboard was a show for sure. :)
Resized_Screenshot_20210531-114451_Video_Player.jpeg

First top water experience for my son. He just turned 9 and asked for a top water lure. Hmm... what could possibly go wrong with 6 hooks and my boy in his yak on the water? 43 degrees on Memorial Day morning up North and he worked that top water plug just on the deep side of a sandbar and a nice bass nailed it for him. Watching him get pulled around in his yak and then try to get the fish aboard was a show for sure. :)
View attachment 3310905
Great catch! Hard to beat topwater action. He looks like he’s ready for more.
I always smash down the barbs on the hooks when out in the boat with my father-in-law or inexperienced anglers... Lately I’ve been experimenting with replacing the trebles with single inline hooks. Hookup ratio is definitely lower but I’ve lost some monster Reds and Snook to bent treble hooks (even after replacing the crap hooks that come on the Heddon Spooks...). I’m not sold yet though. Had a big Snook come unbuttoned from an inline hook a few weeks ago.

I sometimes replace stock hooks as well. I am just waiting for the hook in skin to occur. It will for sure, so hoping it won't be in a critical zone (eye). I have talked with him to try to pause and assess before moving, always be calm, and consider options before moving (if possible). I am hoping I will be with him when it happens so I can assist. We try to minimize what is in his yak, and he has been instructed to only get himself right if he goes into the water, don't worry about any gear. He loves yak fishing. Fish bite is bad, the yak still provides adventure. LOL
Sounds like you have him on the right track. I took a treble in my eyebrow about 4 decades back. Not fun but still lucky it wasn’t the eye...

Back
Top Bottom