• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Kentucky could become the 15th state in the nation to adopt a permitless carry law.

Well frankly, the Second Amendment is a federal right, not a state one, so none of them should be doing any of what they are doing.

I am not saying that const carry isn't a good thing... just saying that in practical, day to day situations, I still need the permit... This won't change that.
And you will be FREE to CHOOSE to have one instead of being FORCED to pay and submit to the tax/registration. It is a monumental difference.
Had we had it along, I would not have a permit.

And you will be FREE to CHOOSE to have one instead of being FORCED to pay and submit to the tax/registration. It is a monumental difference.
Had we had it along, I would not have a permit.

I would. If I value my life enough to carry a gun to protect it, that desire to protect my life doesn't stop at a dotted line on a map a few miles from my home, does it? I want to extend that barrier of protection as much as I can, and a permit extends that to 34 states total, at the moment.

Constitutional Carry would let me save a whopping $75, and would prevent me from carrying in dozens of states. The savings of less than an hour of my wages, isn't worth losing the ability to carry in 30+ states...

Frankly, it's worth the measly $75 and a trip to the court house every 5 years...

But do whatcha want. :-)

I would. If I value my life enough to carry a gun to protect it, that desire to protect my life doesn't stop at a dotted line on a map a few miles from my home, does it? I want to extend that barrier of protection as much as I can, and a permit extends that to 34 states total, at the moment.

Constitutional Carry would let me save a whopping $75, and would prevent me from carrying in dozens of states. The savings of less than an hour of my wages, isn't worth losing the ability to carry in 30+ states...

Frankly, it's worth the measly $75 and a trip to the court house every 5 years...

But do whatcha want. :-)
People justify infringements and loss of freedom in innumerable ways. Even the one with the solely unique qualifier "shall not be infringed."

People justify infringements and loss of freedom in innumerable ways. Even the one with the solely unique qualifier "shall not be infringed."

I don't justify it, but I have to live with it, and in the end the permit benefits me more than constitutional carry does.

Being a realist and being resigned to working within the framework that they gave me, isn't justification...

I can stand my ground and "don't need to stinkin gubment permit" and when I carry over state lines and get thrown in jail, lose my rights and my freedom and depending on the charge and conviction, lose my right to ever own a gun again for the rest of my life... That benefits me how, exactly?

Kinda like arguing with the speeding car coming at you that you are in the crosswalk and he has to yield by law. You are right, he does, but refusing to get out of his way because you are "right", won't help you from getting flattened when he runs over you...

There is being right, and then there is being dead right. ;-)

I don't justify it, but I have to live with it, and in the end the permit benefits me more than constitutional carry does.

Being a realist and being resigned to working within the framework that they gave me, isn't justification...

I can stand my ground and "don't need to stinkin gubment permit" and when I carry over state lines and get thrown in jail, lose my rights and my freedom and depending on the charge and conviction, lose my right to ever own a gun again for the rest of my life... That benefits me how, exactly?

Kinda like arguing with the speeding car coming at you that you are in the crosswalk and he has to yield by law. You are right, he does, but refusing to get out of his way because you are "right", won't help you from getting flattened when he runs over you...

There is being right, and then there is being dead right. ;-)
You continue to miss the point. By highlighting your personal 'need' for a permit for interstate travel, you are attempting to minimize the importance of eliminating an unconstitutional law on Georgia's citizens. Try and think outside of yourself for a change. I've been to Kentucky I think once in 10 years and never to Oklahoma. Yet I am very happy for their residents and realize this is big for both. I'm ecstatic that a growing number of states are shedding infringements wherever possible.

You continue to miss the point. By highlighting your personal 'need' for a permit for interstate travel, you are attempting to minimize the importance of eliminating an unconstitutional law on Georgia's citizens. Try and think outside of yourself for a change. I've been to Kentucky I think once in 10 years and never to Oklahoma. Yet I am very happy for their residents and realize this is big for both. I'm ecstatic that a growing number of states are shedding infringements wherever possible.

The problem here is that you take such a myopic view of things that your reading comprehension suffers as a result. And I say that literally, not to be combative, so don't take this out of context...

What I clearly said was, it is a good thing and a step in the right direction. We agree, yes?

Ok, then I point out that while it is a step in the right direction, it doesn't really help ME, or anyone like me who leaves the state and wants to carry a gun with them. I also mention the benefit of how the permit helps speed things up with retail purchases as it relates to the NICS check. Do we disagree on any of those points?

If not, then what's the problem? Yes, if someone who can't afford a permit today(if they can't afford $75 then they can't afford a gun and ammo and likely have more important things they need to focus on, IMHO), then in that very narrow scope, the law should help them. I never said it wouldn't. I never said we shouldn't have it.

I simply stated that while a moral victory, the reality is that for those of us that want to be able to carry in 33 other states beyond GA's borders, which I think applies to most of the people reading this, that this law won't change that. In fact, abandoning my permit for simple constitutional carry would actually REDUCE my freedom and ability to carry a firearm... It would slightly enhance it here, in GA, but reduce it across most of the country, and that to me is a step BACK with regards to my ability to carry a gun.

I think I was pretty clear, so I am not sure why you are taking issue with this. You get what you want, it's a moral victory and a good thing, but it doesn't really help me and my needs.

In 2015 I lived in Ohio and Traveled a lot, I had an Ohio permit and got others from Indiana and Vermont also. At the time this covered me in most states that aloud Concealed Carry including South Carolina. I'll still keep a permit, but I'd rather have the option of carrying in our state without one.

In 2015 I lived in Ohio and Traveled a lot, I had an Ohio permit and got others from Indiana and Vermont also. At the time this covered me in most states that aloud Concealed Carry including South Carolina. I'll still keep a permit, but I'd rather have the option of carrying in our state without one.

I drive to AL, TN, NC, SC and FL pretty frequently, as well as VA and West VA, KY and even PA from time to time. I am planning some motorcyle trips towards TX and the southwest...

In 2019, I don't know how many people grow up in their home state and never leave it...

While constitutional carry is great, we still need carry permits in order to enjoy reciprocity with other states, so in the end, you still need the permit...

Until we have National Reciprocity, which I don't believe we will ever get, these small victories are largely symbolic. Unless those states that adopt Constitutional Carry apply it to citizens from other states...

We had both Houses of Congress and a President who said he would sign it if it came to his desk, and we still couldn't even get it through the Senate. Now that the Dems control the House, it's not even on the radar...
We have the second amendment. And we are the land of the free and the home of the brave. My forefathers didnt need a permit or state reciprocity to carry. What are we missing here

We have the second amendment. And we are the land of the free and the home of the brave. My forefathers didnt need a permit or state reciprocity to carry. What are we missing here

The reality is that we don't really have those things, because those that came before us, allowed their representatives to take those things away, for the most part.

Back
Top Bottom