• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Keymod Handguard

The newer MI G3 series and older SS Gen 2 series are pretty nice - seems almost the same size as the UTG Pro. I have an earlier MI setup - really like the built in sling swivel. MI uses the standard pinch lock on their barrel nut. Works fine but will touch the front of the receiver when you pivot the upper.
UTG and Noveske do not have this protrusion. It is a trade off.
UTG uses locking tabs to help prevent rotation and has a steel barrel nut.
MI SS series uses a reverse barrel nut which utilizes the gas tube like a normal barrel nut to help prevent rotation. So don't like t he3 look. Their new G3 is different. Uses a steel barrel nut plus an angled anti rotation part which may not fit all billet upper receivers.
I have been to MI and they are great people. So are the UTG folks I have spoken to.
Beware clones and cheaper $65 rails. They usually are not properly cut with the internal bevel so standard keymod accessories do not fit.
(You have to look inside the rail to see this). Many do not use steel barrel nuts or if they do - are weird metric sizes - makes it hard to find a crows foot to torque them. Guntec is one that is missing the bevel cuts.

The newer MI G3 series and older SS Gen 2 series are pretty nice - seems almost the same size as the UTG Pro. I have an earlier MI setup - really like the built in sling swivel. MI uses the standard pinch lock on their barrel nut. Works fine but will touch the front of the receiver when you pivot the upper.
UTG and Noveske do not have this protrusion. It is a trade off.
UTG uses locking tabs to help prevent rotation and has a steel barrel nut.
MI SS series uses a reverse barrel nut which utilizes the gas tube like a normal barrel nut to help prevent rotation. So don't like t he3 look. Their new G3 is different. Uses a steel barrel nut plus an angled anti rotation part which may not fit all billet upper receivers.
I have been to MI and they are great people. So are the UTG folks I have spoken to.
Beware clones and cheaper $65 rails. They usually are not properly cut with the internal bevel so standard keymod accessories do not fit.
(You have to look inside the rail to see this). Many do not use steel barrel nuts or if they do - are weird metric sizes - makes it hard to find a crows foot to torque them. Guntec is one that is missing the bevel cuts.
Thank you for all that info. I will definitely be looking into those as well.

Midwest is ok but they are a lot heavier than the diamond head I replaced my midwest with the vrs1 and you can really feel the difference in weight. I'll be putting another on my ar10..

I have a 15" MI rail that only weighs 9oz. It's noticeably lighter than magpul carbine handguards.

I have a PA branded seekins keymod. It's great for the money but not as solid as my others.
Thanks. I will probably not go with one of them then. I want whatever I get to be solid. I'm learning toward diamondhead or maybe noveske right now. Although the utg has me considering it as well for the price.

Thanks. I will probably not go with one of them then. I want whatever I get to be solid. I'm learning toward diamondhead or maybe noveske right now. Although the utg has me considering it as well for the price.

If you are running an optic, I think it's good. I do a lot of iron sight shooting with a tight slight and it'll defect a touch under fairly tight tension, but not so much you'd notice not using the front sight.

My PSA mid length rifle kit came in today. Got the lower assembled and everything put together. This is the reason I was asking about handguards. I'm going to get some rounds through it first though and verify function before I worry about swapping anything. I will continue researching all the handguards mentioned in the meantime though. Thanks for everyone's input.

Attachments

• IMG_1096.JPG
    IMG_1096.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 9
Back
Top Bottom