• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Kids fishing set up?

DADI03

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
97   0
Reaction score
My dad didn't hunt or fish so naturally l know nothing about either. My middle son has taken up fishing and seems to be somewhat of a natural. Now my youngest wants to start going. We only have one pole. It's a Shakespeare. It was mine from when l was a kid. From what I've found don't seem to be that great but has worked well so far.

Now l would like to get another rod and real. It will be for my 10 year old. Would rather not spend a ton of money on it bit don't want a pos. What are some good ones for beginers? We have a spin cast now and he does real well with it.

Thanks for any input

My dad didn't hunt or fish so naturally l know nothing about either. My middle son has taken up fishing and seems to be somewhat of a natural. Now my youngest wants to start going. We only have one pole. It's a Shakespeare. It was mine from when l was a kid. From what I've found don't seem to be that great but has worked well so far.

Now l would like to get another rod and real. It will be for my 10 year old. Would rather not spend a ton of money on it bit don't want a pos. What are some good ones for beginers? We have a spin cast now and he does real well with it.

Thanks for any input

Zebco 33 combo.......(rod and reel pkg) about 25.00 at Walmart...Very good general use rig and really easy to work with, most fishermen probably started out with one..I'm going on 70 and still use one occasionally for pan fish.
Get one for each of the boys and you start using your old one...nothing like the quality time you'll get fishing with your kids.

Zebco 33

image.jpeg

I will try to help. Everyone will probably have a different opinion but here is what I would suggest. Spend a little because bad gear is just a frustration. Having said that, the bass pro combos are usually a good bang for the buck. Cabelas has them too. I suggest mid sized spinning gear for a good all around fishing. I've had great luck with even the cheaper Shimano reels. So about 6ftmed heavy one piece rod with a Shimano 1500 size reel. You can catch big or small fish with this rig. When you go with med heavy you can handle the larger fish better(bass). It's a little heavy for bream and trout but all around it works. I would use 8lb line for most fishing. You should go to six pound for trout. Line is a whole nuther discussion. Lighter lines, more bites but more breaks. Stick with mono in the beginning. I like the the Trilene Xl to minimize tangles. Teach your son to manually return the bail instead of turning the reel handle. This will greatly decrease line twist. Another tip for the young angler, learn to tie the Palomar knot. Good luck to Yall

We have a spin cast now and he does real well with it.
You said you don't have much experience and even people with experience tend to use different names so what exactly type reel or you talking about? I know you said "spin cast" but is it the one labeled spinning (aka 'open face') or the one labeled 'spin cast' (aka "closed face") http://www.shakespeare-fishing.com/shakespeare-reels/
Most people (myself included) would recommend a closed face reel for a young child. But if he does in fact already have some experience and aptitude with an open face no need to go backwards IMO.

As has been mentioned the Zebco 33 has a LOT of use under it's belt but Shakespeare (which definitely use to make some above average starter gear, haven't bought any recent stuff) has some options as well. http://www.shakespeare-fishing.com/shakespeare-combos-spincast-combos/#sz=91

Colt's post on this thread works for me. Zebco 33 would be a good starter. If he gets serious, he will QUICKLY outgrow it. As a young'in, I save up and bought my own spinning reel and put the Zebco aside. Cut the bail off the spinning reel and learned to use my finger to take the line off the "pickup" for casting, and place the line on the "pickup" for retrieving. That way is much more efficient than the wire bail of a typical spinning reel and results in less line twist. And you will be able to cast longer, and get more casting accuracy, with a spinning reel (over time). Learn to put line on the spinning reel the right way (comes off the spool in the same direction as the bail when reeling in).

Been fishing for 50 years and tried a lot of brands or reels. Shimano rules.

I agree with COLTS, go to one of the big box sports store and get a lite weight spinning rod set up. I still have my 1st fishing reel Mitchel 300 my Dad bought me when I was 6 and I could still take it out tomorrow to fish with. Take your kid out in the yard and have him throw it a couple dozen times then take him fishing. The rest will fall into play as he learns.

Thanks to all the info

I'm going to try to awnser all the questions. It's an open face. Both my kids can put it through a tire 15 out of 20 times at about 30 feet. They always manually flip it instead of realing it to flip it back. There have been plenty of lost weights in the back yard while learning though. Had to restring it twice just while they were learning.

It's similar to the Shakespeare contender. It's a rod and real set up. The rod is very flexible. Should l try to get a stiffer one. Mostly fishing with fake bate. Nothing live yet except for the occasional worm.

Back
Top Bottom