• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Kimber 1911 Safety Failed

texasgunlover

Default rank <15 posts
Outdoorsman
0   0
Reaction score
I had it cocked and the external, left side safety flipped upward, (that is, safety on) and decided to test it. Pointed in a safe direction, pulled the trigger expecting nothing to happen, and BAM. Off it goes. Found the safety lever broken on the ground. I can post some photos if needed. I am wondering, should I attempt to replace this part, or should I send it to Kimber for repair? I have always done my own gunsmithing and fixed dozens of guns, but the way this part integrates with the firing mechanisms, gives me pause. I doubt there's any guidance on disassembly to the degree required to put a new one back in.

Thankfully you had it pointed in a safe direction!
So are you saying that the cycling of the slide, when the weapon went off, broke the thumb safety?
You positive it was fully engaged before pulling the trigger?
Had you ever function checked the thumb safety prior to this?

Kimber should take care of it; but you will have to pay shipping to them. I had a set of night sights do dim and out within 6 months of a purchase. They turned it around fast.

Sounds like, maybe, the safety was already broken or cracked. Was it the main shaft of the safety that broke? Possibly a defective part.
Any 1911 full strip instructions should cover the thumb safety - but I agree it ought to go to Kimber.

Thanks for all the quick replies. Here are some photos to show what I tried to describe in words. I am sure I had it fully engaged. It has only two positions and I intentionally engaged it and intentionally pulled the trigger. I'm not sure why I got the urge to test it, but I did. I was on my 20 acre range so no problem with holes in the wall. :)
I find it interesting that Holdyourfire thinks any 1911 instructions would work for me to figure out how to replace it. Are all 1911's that similar? I thought the model was just a loose designation for many variations by different manufacturers.
Considering cost of the part and time to put it in, vs. cost to ship for a free repair, I should ship it. How does one ship a gun? Are there any special rules for the USPS? UPS?

AMBA0288.JPG

AMBA0287.JPG
AMBA0284.JPG
AMBA0282.JPG

For any 1911 pattern gun, at a minimum, the user should be acquainted with the basic inspection and function checks in the Army field manuals. Any gun can fail and break, but how do you know without being familiar with proper inspection proceedures?

Back
Top Bottom