• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Kind of a dumb? question about suppressors

Poppa Mike

Default rank 5000+ posts
4H rifle team coach
40   0
Reaction score
I have recently acquired two firearms with threaded barrels and have been considering getting a suppressor for them. The first was a Ruger American Predator in .308 and the other is a Hi Point carbine in 10mm. My question is there one suppressor that would work on both rifles? I think one that disassembles for cleaning would be preferable but I really am ignorant about suppressors so I thought I might find enlightenment here!

From what I've heard from numerous silencer owners, it's OK to use one suppressor for multiple calibers, as long as the holes in the baffles (and end cap) are sized for the biggest caliber you'd ever use, AND as long as the can is built to withstand the pressures of the cartridge.

The effectiveness is nearly as good as having a caliber-specific can with the "perfect size" baffles.

I haven't been keeping up with the latest tech but if memory serves me right you'll need at least 2 cans. One for the 10mm which can be either .45 or .40 and you'll need a .30 cal rifle can. I dont think they make a .45 can that can handle rifle caliber rounds aside from subsonic .300blk. Even 5.56 will tear up a pistol caliber can.

Initially most rifle cans were sealed. No need to clean them really since the high powered rounds basically clean the can out. Being sealed also allows for a stronger can or it did, again technology has changed a little and I think some rifle cans MIGHT be user serviceable but generally speaking I think they are still sealed.

Whatever you get just make sure there are mounting options for your various applications.

I haven't been keeping up with the latest tech but if memory serves me right you'll need at least 2 cans. One for the 10mm which can be either .45 or .40 and you'll need a .30 cal rifle can. I dont think they make a .45 can that can handle rifle caliber rounds aside from subsonic .300blk. Even 5.56 will tear up a pistol caliber can.

Initially most rifle cans were sealed. No need to clean them really since the high powered rounds basically clean the can out. Being sealed also allows for a stronger can or it did, again technology has changed a little and I think some rifle cans MIGHT be user serviceable but generally speaking I think they are still sealed.

Whatever you get just make sure there are mounting options for your various applications.

Ive never cleaned any of my 4 cans. 2 can be.......other 2 sealed. No need.

Also think this will be 2 cans unless theres something new i dont know about.

30 cal is easy as any 30 cal can will work, some just better than others. 5/8x24 threads and have fun. I have the same Ruger and it works great suppressed. The 10mm is another animal as most pistol cans are not rated for that much pressure. I would contact Jake at Quiet Riot and see what he says about using 1 can. He won't steer you wrong. Either way, expect a long wait until they clear NFA jail.

30 cal is easy as any 30 cal can will work, some just better than others. 5/8x24 threads and have fun. I have the same Ruger and it works great suppressed. The 10mm is another animal as most pistol cans are not rated for that much pressure. I would contact Jake at Quiet Riot and see what he says about using 1 can. He won't steer you wrong. Either way, expect a long wait until they clear NFA jail.
Yeah, I am aware of the wait time, just wasn’t sure if anyone made one can that would work with both. Being a cheap ass I just disliked the thought of having to pay for two stamps. I may have to. Looks like more research is in order.
Thanks for the replies and info folks! I truly appreciate it

Back
Top Bottom