• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Kitchen sink Gun repair screw ups and learning experiances

Gordylew

Firefighter Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
189   0
Reaction score
I like tinkering with guns, it's been a passion of mine for nearly 35 years. I never went to a gunsmithing class in my life but have learned a lot of things through trial and error. Lots of Errors...sometimes I made the same mistake twice or three times. I'm a slow learner.
I know I'm not the only one. So what are some of your memorable blunders? We ain't judging...Ok I lied, we will but it's all in good humor.
I'll start and add as others follow.
When working on a Remington 11-48 that I got in trade, I got the bright idea to make it a slug gun. The barrel was destroyed so I picked up a cut down barrel off fleabay for cheap. I grabbed a nice front sight out of the box of goodies. D/T the barrel mounted it and grabbed a nice Williams rear to match. D/T the barrel just in front of the receiver. Looked real nice! Went outside and loaded me a 2 3/4 Slug. Placed the gun in the led-sled and squeezed off a round. The rear sight went flying into the stratosphere. Lesson 1. Never mounted a rear sight on a recoil operated barrel. tends to sheared the sight off when the barrel recoils back into the receiver.
Whose next?

Wow! 56 views and no one has ever had a gun"smithing" blunder! Didn't realize we had so many top-notch Doug Turnbull trained Smiths on this forum. Good to know.
I’ve launched and lost more AR detent springs than I can even remember.

Does that count?

Installed a trigger assembly group wrong on a 223 lower build I did with my teenager... It worked but would not reset.... I new what what it was immediatly... it was really a great learning experience for-me but for him as well...

Back
Top Bottom