• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Knife Carry in Courthouses or Govt Buildings

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
Does anyone want to put on their thinking caps, read some actual Code sections to review the law, and tackle this question?
(If you're not up for it, I understand. It took three cups of coffee this morning and over an hour of my time, and only now do I think I have a handle on it.)

WHAT LAW SAYS YOU CAN'T CARRY A NORMAL-SIZED KNIFE IN A COURTHOUSE?

I don't mean a big Bowie knife, dagger, katana, or sword. Only knives with blades that are below 12 inches, and thus not "weapons" as that term is defined in Code section 16-11-125.1.

Are there any state laws on this activity?

If your local City or County has some local ordinances against knives at the courthouse, are those laws valid and enforceable against you? (And would it matter if you're a GWL holder or not?)

If the Sheriff has banned knives on his authority as part of his mandatory duty to come up with a courthouse safety and security plan (See Code section 15-16-10), does that carry a penalty for violating the rules the Sheriff puts in place?

P.S. I'm well aware that "God Guns and Guts" made America free, and the Second Amendment is the only "permit" you need.

Post-P.S. We can all agree that there is no penalty for anything you do which nobody else knows about, so if you don't get caught... it's no harm, no foul. But this thread is about what is legal or illegal, not what you can get away with doing undetected.

There are some old threads on the topic of "Georgia knife laws" here on ODT, but they are so old that the laws they refer to have been changed since then. One bill, HB492, expanded the State's preemption power greatly.

O.C.G.A 16-11-136 (2017)
  • (a) As used in this Code section, the term:
    • (1) "Courthouse" shall have the same meaning as set forth in Code Section 16-11-127.
    • (2) "Government building" shall have the same meaning as set forth in Code Section 16-11-127.
    • (3) "Knife" means any cutting instrument with a blade and shall include, without limitation, a knife as such term is defined in Code Section 16-11-125.1.
  • (b) Except for restrictions in courthouses and government buildings, no county, municipality, or consolidated government shall, by rule or ordinance, constrain the possession, manufacture, sale, or transfer of a knife more restrictively than the provisions of this part.
So sounds like a county, municipality, or consolidated government can indeed pass rules and ordinances that prohibit carrying a knife, no matter the blade length, in to a court.

While we are at it, what law says you can't exercise you first amendment rights to tell the Judge and jury to FO while you flip them the bird? Or have a crying baby in the gallery? Or talk on your cell phone? Try that while you are wearing your "It's muh pocket knife" t-shirt and see how it works out for you. Pretty sure all the above falls under:

O.C.G.A. 16-11-34 (2010)
16-11-34. Preventing or disrupting lawful meetings, gatherings, or processions

(a) A person who recklessly or knowingly commits any act which may reasonably be expected to prevent or disrupt a lawful meeting, gathering, or procession is guilty of a misdemeanor.

(b) This Code section shall not be construed to affect the powers delegated to counties or to municipal corporations to pass laws to punish disorderly conduct within their respective limits.

I have one of those little Swiss Army knives on my key ring. It probably has a 1 inch blade, maximum.

When I went to the Cobb courthouse building to get my carry permit renewed they made me leave it at the security section. Had to fill out a form and everything.

Prison shank in the boot and call it a day
Many years ago I had a job delivering copiers and one of my stops was the Richard Russell building. Me and both of my helpers went through the metal detector and got into the service elevator and then I realized I had a 4-inch folding knife in my back pocket and it didn't set off the metal detector so I figured what's done is done. So just went about my business delivered The copier and went back out and went home Social Security isn't as tight as you think it was but then again this was in 93.

Many years ago I had a job delivering copiers and one of my stops was the Richard Russell building. Me and both of my helpers went through the metal detector and got into the service elevator and then I realized I had a 4-inch folding knife in my back pocket and it didn't set off the metal detector so I figured what's done is done. So just went about my business delivered The copier and went back out and went home Social Security isn't as tight as you think it was but then again this was in 93.
Lol good slide in!

Back
Top Bottom