• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Knife Carry in Courthouses or Govt Buildings

CQB27 is right about how Code section 16-11-136 says state preemption of local laws doesn't apply to knives at court houses or government buildings.

So even if the state law against guns and huge knives at those places (16-11-127) doesn't also ban normal sized knives, Code section ...136 said local ordinances could.

BUT, that law was passed in 2012 and has never been updated.

What about the 2015 amendments to Code section 16-11-173 that changed the reach and scope of Georgia's preemption law? The changes made that law cover any defensive weapon or tool --knives, clubs, tasers, pepper spray, whatever.

House Bill 492 not only told local government to keep their hands off of citizens' knives, but it was passed in 2015. That was three years after code section 136, and the 2015 law ended with the statement that any [current] laws in conflict with this new law are hereby repealed.

So... does Code ...136 still apply, or is it a dead letter law after the newer changes to Code ...173?

If only I had access to a Lexis Nexis account right now. 2017 GA Code from Justia Law only goes so far. Too many non attorneys will misinterpret laws and GA Statutes I'm sure. GAgunLAWbooklet GAgunLAWbooklet ... You're really making us think on this one sir. Love it.

When I went to apply for my GWCL I forgot I had my 3 inch spyderco folder in my pocket. The very nice deputy ladying the metal detector, after I set off the ‘beep’, looked at me like I was a moron and said I couldn’t take it in.

She was nice enough to keep it for me until I was finished, and didn’t cite me.

I’ll take her word for it.

The couple times I have forgotten, I have had 2 results, nice deputy lets you leave it at the entry point and pick up when you leave....this was in Illinois, of all places.

Local Barrow County made me take it back to my car, which pissed me off since it was raining. I just went home, went to courthouse the next day....drier.

and the 2015 law ended with the statement that any [current] laws in conflict with this new law are hereby repealed.

My understanding is that is boiler plate that rests at the end of every bill and the court has ruled that it means nothing. Iirc they stated that laws cannot be repealed by generalized statements but rather must be specifically repealed.

Back
Top Bottom