• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Knife Pass Around- DPX HEST 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
My greatest apologies gents! Pics and write up coming within the hour! Knife will be shipped out Monday! I apologize for the length that I have kept it. Busy life lately : /

********My Thoughts/Review From a Average Joe Knife User/Collector**********

First Impression: Knife has a "Tank" feel to it! Def. has some heft to it and for good reason! This thing is heavy and mean! This knife was clearly not made for "paper cut" tests or "Minor EDC Tasks". It was made to be beat on and used hard(lol)! The grip felt natural and the Micarta Scales were easy to grip on and had a similar "grit" feel to my Spyderco Mili 2. The Prybar on the back of the knife also help to keep your grip stationary during hard use.

Looks: The Hest 4 wasn't meant to be a beauty queen and just screams "work horse". But, does have some classy features such as a nice black powder coating on the blade. The full hollow grind makes it excellent for deep coating and really bearing down without worrying on damaging the blade. The olive colored Micarta scales match the powder coating really well. The powder coating does scratch a bit but, that's what the knife was built for! The deep recessed hardware doesn't get in the way of your grip and has no chance to become snagged on gloves,clothes,etc. Just wish they has chosen a different color to keep in tune with the character of the knife.

Performance: From cutting clothes tags, zip ties, string, paracord, this knife does it with EASE! The heft of the blade coupled with it being a 1095 high carbon steel, I was confident any test I had for it, it could pass. I even did some light batoning with it today and id didn't skip a beat! Something id never be able to do with any of my EDC blades.

Pro: Perfect camping/BOB bag blade! Bottle Opener/Prybar works with ease! Pulls bottle caps off with little effort. Has a great feel in the hands and easy to keep a tight grip! Steel keeps an excellent edge for this type of knife! Semi-Attractive looks! a 100% made to be beaten knife! Hollow Scales make for a great storage area for last chance/survival items.

Cons: Without gloves, prybar might rub your pinky during hard tasks(honestly, my biggest con). Hardware color choice wasn't attractive. Def. too heavy to be considered as an EDC blade UNLESS you work requires a hefty knife, then it would make this knife a PRO. The manuf. suggests not using the Prybar as a "prybar"..Confused? I wish the scales where a little bigger. I wish the blade would be just a tad bit longer(def. would be easier to baton with)

img.tapatalk.com_d_14_03_15_vagusagy.jpg

img.tapatalk.com_d_14_03_15_uva2uru3.jpg

img.tapatalk.com_d_14_03_15_a5uvusar.jpg

Last edited:
Outstanding !!!!

Here is my thinking moving forward.
Take this to work (where ever that is). Use it for work. Open boxes of course. Pry open something. Cut this hoses. Score drywall, open baked beans, something.

While I'm not seeing a torture test needed, I'd like to see it as a true EDC knife.

Backwoods, can you hook up with next recipient and ship her out?

10-4! Will send a PM now! Awesome blade and I have had alot of fun! Thanks again for the opportunity!

Last edited:
i havent handled one of these yet, but i have one in the mail on it's way to me on monday, im sure ill love it by all the reviews you guys have left, i have a couple of esee's so being a fan of rowen manufactured knives i ordered the hest original manufactured by rowen, i cant wait to get it

First impressions is that it is a little smaller than I expected but does feel good in the hand. Even though it's a smaller knife this would lend better to being able to carry it around easier.
i61.tinypic.com_hsjlw0.jpg

The blade is very thick for it's size and looks like it has some useful cutouts on the blade. I really like the sheath that was made for it as it fits well, snug but not too snug.
i62.tinypic.com_166db36.jpg

Here are some pics of it along with a few of my other knives, top to bottom ESEE 5, Survive 4.1, Busse AMS, and the DPX HEST:
i60.tinypic.com_4vs6zc.jpg

I'm an accountant so I won't be able to put the knife to "hard" use as this is frowned on at work. I'm going to use it around the house this weekend on some yardwork and pruning to see how it feels using it. I'm also going to see what kind of an edge it will take as I like my knifes to be able to shave. I'll give another update after I've had a chance to do these things.
Thanks Klarktx for the pass around. If you REALLY want to do it again I'm sure lots of us would like to try that Busse Flying Mojo you got...

First impressions is that it is a little smaller than I expected but does feel good in the hand. Even though it's a smaller knife this would lend better to being able to carry it around easier.
i61.tinypic.com_hsjlw0.jpg

The blade is very thick for it's size and looks like it has some useful cutouts on the blade. I really like the sheath that was made for it as it fits well, snug but not too snug.
i62.tinypic.com_166db36.jpg

Here are some pics of it along with a few of my other knives, top to bottom ESEE 5, Survive 4.1, Busse AMS, and the DPX HEST:
i60.tinypic.com_4vs6zc.jpg

I'm an accountant so I won't be able to put the knife to "hard" use as this is frowned on at work. I'm going to use it around the house this weekend on some yardwork and pruning to see how it feels using it. I'm also going to see what kind of an edge it will take as I like my knifes to be able to shave. I'll give another update after I've had a chance to do these things.
Thanks Klarktx for the pass around. If you REALLY want to do it again I'm sure lots of us would like to try that Busse Flying Mojo you got...

I'm not sure I could drop the Mojo. Haha
It would never get beyond the first. I would like to arrange a Knife Knut meetup and let people fondle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom