• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Knives by brand

AK74U

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
89   1
Reaction score
Hey guys Im looking to spend around $100 for an all around knife for work, outside of work, etc. Don't really know much about the different edges, but know a few things about metal. I often look at Kershaw, Spyderco, HK, etc. Im guessing a $300 HK can cut pretty much anything, very strong in durability and sharpest blade close to a surgeon scalpel for the price?

Knives are like guns you get what you pay for. Quality equals money , cheap knives dull easy and don’t sharpen well. The grade of steel that is used is important , a well made knife will last you along time. Spyderco are good , HK are made by benchmade I think or they used to be, I have never owned a kershaw. Hope this helps.

HK is no longer having HK marked knives being made by Benchmade... I have bought hundreds of knives over the years... YMMV...What you pay for is what you get... Used to carry only Spyderco...got tired of breaking or losing them... Now buy Kershaw...Good utilitarian knife for the money... funny part is...buying cheap knives...haven't lost one yet... Get assisted opening...most under $20...Keep it sharp... I always carry one of those pocket sharpeners... it holds up very well... Then when I go out... put on a nicer knife...Spyderco or Benchmade... like putting on a nicer watch...

Are you looking for a fixed blade, folder, an assisted opening folder? If you're going for a fixed blade I'd go for benchmade or Esee but you'll spend a little more than 100. If you're going for a folder Kershaw makes pretty good knives, when I'm not carrying my microtech I carry a Kershaw, benchmade also has plenty of good folders near your price point. There are a few members on here that make really nice fixed blade knives as well.

HK is no longer having HK marked knives being made by Benchmade... I have bought hundreds of knives over the years... YMMV...What you pay for is what you get... Used to carry only Spyderco...got tired of breaking or losing them... Now buy Kershaw...Good utilitarian knife for the money... funny part is...buying cheap knives...haven't lost one yet... Get assisted opening...most under $20...Keep it sharp... I always carry one of those pocket sharpeners... it holds up very well... Then when I go out... put on a nicer knife...Spyderco or Benchmade... like putting on a nicer watch...
I know what you mean about not losing cheap knives - its the same with sunglasses and it's why I buy cheap EDC stuff.

I carried a Kershaw Cryo for 3 years - $20 knife and did everything I asked of it up until the other day I broke it trying to dig a bolt out of a tree. I was suprised it didnt break sooner with how much force I put on it. I bought the larger Cryo 2 ($30) in order to put something in my pocket immediately and am going to send the broken one back for a $10 blade replacement.

Spyderco Endura or Delica will be my next purchase.

I am assuming you are looking for a pocket knife.

Figure out what kind of opening and closing mechanism you like. Personally, I like frame lock flippers, so I like Zero Tolerance/Kershaw knives.

There are lots of good knives for around $100.

Im looking towards a folding pocket knife. What is an assisted knife? I had 2 Gerber knives over the past 3 years. Blade has never been as sharp as when I first purchased it. I know the feeling of losing something that you spent a lot of money on. But it will never leave my desk at work. Thanks for the help guys.

Assisted knives have mechanisms in them, like springs, that assist in opening the blade. Usually you just have to push a button or start to the move the blade and the mechanism will take over.

Ok. I don't think I will need those extra bells and whistles to use a knife. But it was a good thought

You can't really beat Spyderco in that price range. Solid lock up, durable, light, super sharp knives. I've got several higher dollar Microtech knives but one of my go-to's is my Spyderco.

Back
Top Bottom