• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Kobe Bryant killed in helicopter crash. (merged threads)

For helicopters....no. Special VFR minimums for helicopters in all controlled airspace except class G is "clear of clouds". When I flew helicopters in the Army, the Army's more stringent SVFR minimum was 300 feet ceiling and 1/2 mile visibility. 300 and 1/2 is really bad conditions by the way. The ceiling/visibility in that pic looks above 300 and 1/2 to me.

Tragic for sure, and sad for every soul on board. RIP everyone and God Speed to the families struck with this tragic event.

You know- I got about 2000 hours in military and civilian helicopters myself as a mechanic. Reports are it hit at 165 knots....having been in more than a few helicopter flights where we got caught in lowering ceilings-that's kind of fast for scud-running ain't it?

You know- I got about 2000 hours in military and civilian helicopters myself as a mechanic. Reports are it hit at 165 knots....having been in more than a few helicopter flights where we got caught in lowering ceilings-that's kind of fast for scud-running ain't it?

Flightaware data is not reliable at that altitude and in that kind of terrain. I have also seen 50 kts as ground speed. The flight appeared normal for a helicopter entering positive controlled airspace in low visibility.

NTSB investigators will publish all the details in their report, but that won't be for 12 months as per SOP.

eta: the plot I saw had data points 3+ seconds apart in the last 15 seconds of flight. That usually leads to inaccuracies in the short term as to speed, rate of climb, etc.

There are also reports it went inverted before the crash, and another report it hit at a 45 degree angle of bank.

It will all come out, just takes time.

Awful tragedy for Kobe and his daughter. I don't often get emotional when I hear of celebrity deaths but this one shook me.

F33667AA-1671-4184-A847-608A37EAEF2C.png

The pics of the crash site sure don't look like a 165 knot CFIT deal. The NTOA will figure it all out. I guessing CFIT, but at a much lower airspeed....but it's just a guess.

Back
Top Bottom