• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Krag, Bubba got it

FrogMan

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
96   0
Reaction score
I picked this project up and I dont know much about Krags so any advice is appreciated.

I believe i have a Krag 1896 rifle with stock shortened about 8", varnished and missing front barrel band. what i want to do is extend the stock, take finish back to original and replace the barrel band.

1. Is there a difference between the 96 and 98 front barrel bands?
2. what kind of wood was used in these stocks?
3. Any advice on tools, cuts to use while splicing the extension on the stock? (seam does not have to be hidden just want it functional)
4. There Is a cartouche (yeah i know i probably misspelled that) on the stock and im pretty sure it wont survive me sanding the stock, Any recommendations on removing the varnish without sanding?
006.JPG
005.JPG
004.JPG
028.JPG

The stock will be American Walnut. Not sure about removing the varnish. I think I'd look for a full stock and keep that handguard, it's the expensive part for that sight.

The stock will be American Walnut. Not sure about removing the varnish. I think I'd look for a full stock and keep that handguard, it's the expensive part for that sight.
By handguard do you mean the small wood piece on top around the rear sight? that is pretty cracked but yes I plan on keeping it. I guess if I find a decently priced stock I might go that way but I haven seen any listed much less decently priced ones. I have only seen Norwegian and danish Stocks so far but then again there is no rush :)

Back
Top Bottom