• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Lady Wants To Buy Pistol For Husband. Is that legal?

I'll take the ATF's definition over some random internet guy.

Correctly stated, it would be "nine supreme court justices and some random internet guy".

"Straw purchase is a purchase where a purchaser knowingly acquiring an item or service for someone. The person purchase on behalf of other when the other person is unable to purchase the item or service themselves is not considered as an illegal act. But any violation of the Gun Control Act, 1968 make the straw purchase a felony. "

https://definitions.uslegal.com/s/straw-purchase/

Fat Albert... look at the middle of the 3 images / blocks of text you posted.
Notice that an alternative type of straw purchase is when the real buyer doesn't want his name associated with the transaction. That could include a person who's not ineligible to own guns, but just wants somebody else to show the ID, fill out the paperwork, submit to the background check, etc. Notice also that same image ends with the line "...UNWILLING or unable" to buy the gun himself. Two ways to make a straw purchase from a dealer. One is helping a prohibited person get a gun. The other is defeating the intent and purpose behind the federal gun dealer recordkeeping laws and the Brady Instant Background Check law.

Fat Albert... look at the middle of the 3 images / blocks of text you posted.
Notice that an alternative type of straw purchase is when the real buyer doesn't want his name associated with the transaction. That could include a person who's not ineligible to own guns, but just wants somebody else to show the ID, fill out the paperwork, submit to the background check, etc. Notice also that same image ends with the line "...UNWILLING or unable" to buy the gun himself. Two ways to make a straw purchase from a dealer. One is helping a prohibited person get a gun. The other is defeating the intent and purpose behind the federal gun dealer recordkeeping laws and the Brady Instant Background Check law.

Well said for a "random internet guy. ".

On the 4473s that I've filled out, I didn't see anything about "legally owning" it ask if I was buying it for myself.
I would assume that in the event I was buying for someone else, that person would have to pass the background check and be named on the 4473.

The next time I buy from a FFL dealer, I'll give it a whirl.

I know at one place I shop, if you fill out the 4473, don't let the owner see you get money, check, or credit card form someone else, even if it's your spouse or sibling. Legal or not, he doesn't like the BATFE.

Never talk to Law Enforcement.
They are not your friend.
They are not there to help you.

Back
Top Bottom