• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Land Cruiser Truck

I think these are REALLY cool but using one of the 80k vehicles for what they are meant for would make me cringe. I'd rather thrash a used F150 Raptor if I'm going to have fun with a truck off road.

Look like future UN trucks?
giphy (60).gif

Strategically importing them and having them in and around major population centers.... Nah....

Shot one up back in the early 90's. Takes a few tracer rounds to light one on fire. The techs on board were not impressed with it's flame retardant materials or it's safety features.

I think these are REALLY cool but using one of the 80k vehicles for what they are meant for would make me cringe. I'd rather thrash a used F150 Raptor if I'm going to have fun with a truck off road.

I read an article about NGO's using trucks for aid work in Africa. They had been using Land Cruisers and decided to give the Mitsu Montero a whirl.

The Mitsubishi was beyond repair within 6 months. The biggest reason that the 70 series was so popular is that they could be refurbed after a year and would keep going, year after year.

So in that light, $80k for a truck that lasted 3-4 years, and could then be sold for several thousand was cheaper than paying $25K for a truck and replacing it every six months.

I read an article about NGO's using trucks for aid work in Africa. They had been using Land Cruisers and decided to give the Mitsu Montero a whirl.

The Mitsubishi was beyond repair within 6 months. The biggest reason that the 70 series was so popular is that they could be refurbed after a year and would keep going, year after year.

So in that light, $80k for a truck that lasted 3-4 years, and could then be sold for several thousand was cheaper than paying $25K for a truck and replacing it every six months.
I think they are super cool and I have a tacoma currently with 340,000 miles on it so I get it durability aspect. It's like a diesel heavier duty tacoma. I wonder what kind of fuel economy they get.

18-20mpg.

New ones have a diesel V8 4.5L in either single or twin turbo.

The V8 replaced the 1HDTFE which was a 4.2L straight 6 diesel.

The Land Cruisers (not Prado, but the FZJ/HJZ/HDJ trucks- Toyota made light duty and heavy duty trucks. The LJ frames, like the prado are light duty).

The 70 series is a true heavy duty truck. Everything is made to last long, be repairable, and is over engineered.

If you spent time comparing an 80 series to a Tacoma or Tundra, you'd see the similarity, but there are small details that show you that the 80 is built for long term heavier duty use. The trucks came with snorkels from the factory since at least the early 80's. The air intake box came with a factory washable filter and a sand trap. It was made for harsh environments and not highways. Double weather seals on the doors to keep water out. Made for dual batteries with a 24V engine, and 12v cab. factory lockers dating back to the 80's, maybe even 70's.

When I saw them I was thinking, "that'd be a nice beater for $5-10k"...but at $80k they are insane...you can buy a whole lot of truck plus mods for that kind of money.

Back
Top Bottom