• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

UPDATE: Land ownership/deed question

In for the update ! If it's public land then who owns it ? The county ?
I’m about to get on the road and while it’s public record, I don’t feel comfortable posting people’s names directly.

Google Cherokee County GIS, the parcel info is:

Recreation area: 21N11B 004
Residents claiming to have purchased it: 21N11B 043

I confirmed with the county that these are the most recent records, with none pending.

You can access plat and all tax records using these parcel numbers.

Ready...go

I’m about to get on the road and while it’s public record, I don’t feel comfortable posting people’s names directly.

Google Cherokee County GIS, the parcel info is:

Recreation area: 21N11B 004
Residents claiming to have purchased it: 21N11B 043

I confirmed with the county that these are the most recent records, with none pending.

You can access plat and all tax records using these parcel numbers.

Ready...go

Looks like it has had the same owner since 1989. If if was community property, it's owner would be the listed legal entity "XXX HOA", or if public property the government agency would be listed.

The zoning is listed as a residential lot density R-20.

Looks like they have rights to the property fee simple:

upload_2018-4-20_17-18-34.png

Happens all The time..

People get accustomed to lifestyle of enjoying property rights..

The ownership comes in and changes the rules now there is some dissapointment..

I have had this happen to me multiple times:

1. I buy a property
2. I secure the property (gates etc)
3. Despite gates, fences, signs etc., people continue to use the property
4. Trespasser get confronted.
5. "But we have been using the property for years!!!

Really the thing to do would be to approach the new neighbors with cold beer/bottle of wine and ask if your kid could keep fishing there once in a while.

I have had this happen to me multiple times:

1. I buy a property
2. I secure the property (gates etc)
3. Despite gates, fences, signs etc., people continue to use the property
4. Trespasser get confronted.
5. "But we have been using the property for years!!!

Really the thing to do would be to approach the new neighbors with cold beer/bottle of wine and ask if your kid could keep fishing there once in a while.
That would be a good idea if they actually owned the property, although they have claimed they purchased it, they haven’t. If you check the owner names of the small parcel (home), you’ll see they are not the same people that own the “recreation area”. At this point, I don’t believe they have the right to tell people they’re trespassing.

Further, I would think if this was presented to a court, it could be argued that the “recreation area” designation on the plat would imply that it was designated as a recreation area for the residents of the development.

I’m not claiming to have a right to use the property, but I am claiming that they don’t have a right to tell me I can’t use the property.

And for the record, I’m all for property owner rights, that should go without saying. If the property owners inform the subdivision residents that the property is no longer a recreation area, then so be it. Until then, I will continue to recreate. Also, I have yet to see a PVC pipe on this property, so that could mean something.

They may have purchased the 5 acre tract. It takes the county time to update their records, especially online. Looking up the parcels you mentioned, the parcel that you say was purchased six months ago hasn' been updated since 2015.

Back
Top Bottom