• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

landscaping I have big rocks protruding from the ground. Updated! Hillbilly007 did a fantastic job!

That stuff works great sometimes depending on the rock density. If it truly is some of the stone mtn vein that’s some really hard rock... sometimes it’s hard to even break it with explosives and 3.5” holes. Austell has SUPER hard rock too.

I’m actually shooting some of the stone mtn vein currently down in loganville.
Worth a try before spending the big bucks to get the big bangars down there.

That stuff works great sometimes depending on the rock density. If it truly is some of the stone mtn vein that’s some really hard rock... sometimes it’s hard to even break it with explosives and 3.5” holes. Austell has SUPER hard rock too.

I’m actually shooting some of the stone mtn vein currently down in loganville.
So you must be air hammering a big diameter star drill down deep and setting charges then?

No kidding. 9 times out of 10, residents can’t afford to blast rock. Been in the business for about 6 years and haven’t shot the first bit of rock for a homeowner yet. Lol
They're afraid of breaking windows, splitting sheetrock seams and crap.... even with blast mats...

So you must be air hammering a big diameter star drill down deep and setting charges then?
We run top hole hammer drill rigs, generally 3.5” holes, sometimes we’ll shrink the patterns/hole sizes down some depending on how close we are to a structure. One of our blasters shot 20’ off of a home this past week.

You may want to consider building stone walls to re-direct the downhill water flow (or French drains if there is enough topsoil). . The walls don't have to be very high considering there may be stone under the surface and most of the water will be surface water anyway.

Just a thought.

You don't need two rows..... one row of drilled holes in a line and insert wedges and shims and hit them successively in a line. They will eventually yield a split you can tell with the sound. The hard part is drilling all those holes. Works best with a power hammer drill....

From what I remember the second row is to control the size of chunks coming off so they're easier to haul away without breaking them a second time. But it's been a long time.

They're afraid of breaking windows, splitting sheetrock seams and crap.... even with blast mats...
Also, as long as you stay within the law your good on vibrations. 2” or less of vibration when you shoot is the law, We like to stay around 1 or less though just to stay on the safe side. But in all honesty we could shoot and have 5” of vibrations and it all be peachy. 4” used to be the law and homeowners were complaining and they shrunk it down to 2”. We shot one 50 feet off a house with an in ground pool last year and got a 0.1 vibration reading.

Back
Top Bottom