• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

landscaping I have big rocks protruding from the ground. Updated! Hillbilly007 did a fantastic job!

I need to have yard space immediately outside my door. Not something 10 feet away and 5 feet up from the door and that does nothing to fix the flow away from the outbuilding

A wall would address the drainage, as you can change the slope behind a wall, without moving the boulders or the existing hill.

But you changed the problem from "fix drainage" to "fix drainage and give me a flat, usable lawn space." It's going to take a lot of earth moving to do that, and you might still need a wall, closer to the neighbor's property.

Good luck with the project. Hope you'll post project pics.

A wall would address the drainage, as you can change the slope behind a wall, without moving the boulders or the existing hill.

But you changed the problem from "fix drainage" to "fix drainage and give me a flat, usable lawn space." It's going to take a lot of earth moving to do that, and you might still need a wall, closer to the neighbor's property.

Good luck with the project. Hope you'll post project pics.
Per code, I own at least 35 feet from the building to the property line.

As I said. I wanted a decorative retaining wall to Back fill and force water flow away from the house and outbuilding.

Kinda the whole point of making this post. To remove enough big rock to re-grade the landscaping away from the house

Per code, I own at least 35 feet from the building to the property line.

As I said. I wanted a decorative retaining wall to Back fill and force water flow away from the house and outbuilding.

Kinda the whole point of making this post. To remove enough big rock to re-grade the landscaping away from the house

Per code, or per survey? Did you build the building? Building codes don't override deeds. Don't do anything near the property line without 100% certainty of where the line is.

I must have missed the comment about a decorative retaining wall.

Per code, or per survey? Did you build the building? Building codes don't override deeds. Don't do anything near the property line without 100% certainty of where the line is.

I must have missed the comment about a decorative retaining wall.
I know the house was built in 2002. I know what the code is: 35 feet from the property line. My new neighbor showed me the 2 relevant property line markers sticking out of the ground.

Do you really think I need to pay for a survey?

Attachments

• C57DAF24-CE07-4400-BA3B-1ACA1AD9E9B4.jpeg
    C57DAF24-CE07-4400-BA3B-1ACA1AD9E9B4.jpeg
    53.1 KB · Views: 21
You seem to be getting somewhat testy and short with people who are trying to make helpful suggestions given little actual information. The point that I’ve heard from many people who seem to know what they’re talking about is that rock can be very difficult to remove especially close to a building.

Yes, I’d advise getting a survey, both property and topography. Putting a retaining wall in the wrong place or getting the construction wrong can be very expensive mistakes. And with a topo survey you’d be able to develop a plan of exactly what needs to be done before you start blowing things up. If you had a survey I (a licensed landscape architect) would happily makes some recommendations as to how your property needs to be graded to meet your objectives.

This is why I tell people to get the house sited right before it gets build. Changing grades and fixing water problems can be very expensive after the fact.
"I want to re-grade the area uphill from the structures so I have better water flow away from them. There are obviously massive in-ground rock formations that will need to be addressed in order to do this.

I don't think I can do this myself. I was looking for ideas on how to regrade this area
short of explosives!"

I guess I should have been more clear

I need to clear and grade the area around the buildings for better water flow away from the structures. There are massive rock formations in the ground that will have to be broken up and removed in order for this to happen.

Yes! I do know where the property lines are and Yes! I want to re-grade the landscape to use gravity to flow the water away from structures.

Jeep78 pointed me toward chemical expansion as a way to break rock without explosives.

C Drill97 drills rock daily for an outfit that does blasting. He will be meeting with me today to assess what it will take to drill into this rock.

Based upon this information. I will have a much better idea of what I will be able to get away with.

I know the house was built in 2002. I know what the code is: 35 feet from the property line. My new neighbor showed me the 2 relevant property line markers sticking out of the ground.

Do you really think I need to pay for a survey?
I'm surprised you didn't have a survey done before you bought the property. A lot of folks here have given you suggestions based on very little information, but it seems like you are closing the barn door after the horse is gone. My suggestion would be for you to find a qualified landscaper and get a professional opinion as well as an estimate of cost to get 'er done.

I do know one thing though, using explosives or heavy equipment that close to the house is going to cause you more problems than the one you are trying to resolve.

I'm surprised you didn't have a survey done before you bought the property. A lot of folks here have given you suggestions based on very little information, but it seems like you are closing the barn door after the horse is gone. My suggestion would be for you to find a qualified landscaper and and get a professional opinion as well as an estimate of cost to get 'er done.

I do know one thing though, using explosives or heavy equipment that close to the house is going to cause you more problems than the one you are trying to resolve.
What is a platt map? I looked up the property lines and codes pertaining to zoning and setback prior to purchase.

Did you happen to read the bit about short of explosives!"?

What is a platt map? I looked up the property lines and codes pertaining to zoning and setback prior to purchase.

Did you happen to read the bit about short of explosives!"?
Yep, I did read the bit about explosives - just wanted to make sure you weren't gravitating in that direction. As for Plat maps - they are the reason a lot of land surveyors are still in business. Property line pegs can be moved and many cannot be located.

Back
Top Bottom