• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Last Surviving Polish Pilot of WWII Passes

If pilot training took a year, then a person had be at least age 18 in the spring of 1944 to be flying planes in combat in the spring and summer of 1945.
So, the youngest pilots of WWII could have been born as late as 1926, making them 94 today.
Their numbers surely must be dwindling.
However many hundreds, or maybe thousands, are left now will soon become a smaller but celebrated group of centenarians.

My dad was a WWII pilot who went to his fighter group's annual reunion for the first time in decades back in 2003. Then, there were two dozen of the old vets still attending such meetings regularly. A few years ago the association had their first annual meeting with ZERO vets attending-- the surviving ones were too old, too feeble, to travel for such an event. Now, I'm not sure if any are even left alive, out of his Fighter Group.

Eventually, 145 Polish pilots fought in the Battle of Britain. One of their squadrons shot down more enemy planes than any other unit in that battle.

I guarantee you that bloodlust was fueled by the want for revenge of their people and land. They weren't gonna let Nazi Germany take it everything. Just had to give them their fair chance was all.

Rest in peace Pilot

Back
Top Bottom