• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

LC 7.62x51 brass... anygood?

BillMe45

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
158   0
Reaction score
I need to beef up my stock of 308 brass and am very tempted by the price of once fired, LE/ Military range pick up brass. Most all of this is Lake City. I've had good luck with LC 5.56 brass but I keep reading reports that if the 308 brass has been fired in machine guns it can be grossly out of shape.

Anyone out there using LC 7.62x51 brass? What has been your experience with it?

And for the record I'm not looking for match grade anything (I have certain brass for that) just need a good stock of usable brass.

All of mine looks great, can't recall any significant dings or defects. Just the usual extra reaming of the primer pocket, but if you've used LC 5.56 you should be used to that.

Lake City, WCC and TAA are all very durable, lower pressure (7.61x51) brass but may have differing "backgrounds" depending on what they were shot out of on the range.
Look for LC LR stamped as it was used as Long Range and shot out of bolt-action rifles only.
Here is a good discussion:
Reloader's Nest Forum - Lake City Brass
And, yes, I use hundreds of all kinds, but I am anal about measurement during reloading.
Good luck and have fun!
:thumb:
And, this guy is a local source, a veteran, who always has great deals:
Once fired 308/7.62 x 51 brass 250 + pcs Fixed $ : Reloading Supplies at GunBroker.com

We shoot the LC 308 brass usually run it through the die 3 times each time turn the brass 120 degrees so as to help straighten it up, of course we do this that on all brass we reload when resizing, and seating the bullets just a preference on our part...

just a suggestion to consider...

Back
Top Bottom