• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

LCP 2 FAIL - Ideas welcome

Fishhooks

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
50   0
Reaction score
I took my new LCP 2 to the range today. It ran perfectly through about 60 rounds then had a FTF. The casing extracted fine and I ejected the mag which also removed the round that failed to feed. I thought I could rack the slide and pop the mag back in to keep going, but the slide locked. It is absolutely FROZEN! Took the pin out and still can't move anything. I passed it around the counter at the range and no one could figure out what the problem was. I'm about to ship it back to Ruger, but first thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas on here first. Thanks!

I had a similar problem before. Could be it. The guide rod dropped down and was wedged in the trigger group opening in the frame.
I ended up cutting the guide rod.
Hindsight: it wasn't actually stuck and a little extra force would have worked.

Mine seemed absolutely frozen also.

Different firearm and i think it was stuck locked open. (Reassembly error)
Put the slide edge (on the muzzle end) on the edge of an old table and put your weight into it would be my next attempt.
Postage is cheap

I'm assuming your certain there's NOT a round in the chamber, right?

I'd do the edge of the table trick as described above first.

Then, I'd probably tape up the muzzle to avoid scratches, clamp it in a vise, or but the back of the frame on a table with the slide hanging off so it has room to move, and pound on the front of the slide-- NOT the barrel.

If that didn't work, I'd suspect something is wrong with the recoil rod and or spring. Using a bright flashlight, I'd look in any gaps between the slide and frame, and see if I could learn anything. and/or maybe get a blade or screwdriver in there to push the rod/spring up toward the barrel.

I'd remove the disassembly pin, and also fiddle around in that gap to see if I could get the slide to go forward.

As soon as you reach the point you fear you'll damage it, ship it to Ruger.

But I'd fiddle with it first... I've screwed up and fixed a lot of gun problems myself. As the years pass, I bugger up fewer-- and solve more.

My buddy had the same issue with an LC9. It had to go back to Ruger. Forget what the problem was exactly but it definitely wasn't fixable at the range.

Back
Top Bottom