• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

LE encounters - know your rights

obiwan

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
335   0
Reaction score
LE encounters. This topic comes up often and many members here have various opinions on how to deal with them. I came across this very well produced 4 part series (about 9 mins each), and thought I would share it here. It basically shows you how to assert your rights against illegal searches. This series does not specifically deal with gun searches, but a search is a search.

Those of us who are law abiding citizens and brought up to respect the law, find that going against the will of a police officer somewhat unnatural and nerve racking. And even though many people offer up opinions about what to do, it's difficult to know exactly what to say when one has an encounter, or if some of those advice might get you in the slammer. This series shows you how to deal with each situation, what to say, and how not to escalate a situation with a LEO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmrbNLt7Om8&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=SP1B0B357282389571

This can be a good and informative thread.......lets not let it "Morph"...into continuous LEO Bashing.......some other forums are great for that..........just pisses me off......sorry!

This can be a good and informative thread.......lets not let it "Morph"...into continuous LEO Bashing.......some other forums are great for that..........just pisses me off......sorry!

:amen:

I have a couple of friends...and several people I know who are LEO's. Most of them are doing the best job they can while handcuffed by all of the bureaucracy.

And good info in the videos...thanks for posting that up.

I completely agree. I posted this for its educational value, not to bash law enforcement officers.

I used to think - if I've done nothing wrong, I have nothing to fear, search away. Unfortunately, in this day and age, that no longer applies. Nothing against LEOs, but being searched does subject oneself to some unnecessary risk (as in the lady in the 4th clip of the series). When your automobile leaves your sight, a number of people can leave contraban in it without your knowledge - your children or their friends, the parking valet, at the car wash, etc. One time my friend had his car stolen, after they found the vehicle the police officer advised him to have the car thoroughly searched for drugs in case he ever gets pulled over later. Another time, a friend bought a new car at the dealers and months later she found a pistol under the seat!!!

Did a moderator close this thread? I can't tell if it was someone else or I did it by accident. If a moderator wants this closed then go ahead and re-close it. But I'm not sure why? There's no inflamatory remarks on here at all.

Really good info. Better to actually see something like this with out the slew of bashing. Even better to see someone actually admit that once upon a time you had nothing to fear if you were just honest and forth coming...but that there is that very small percentage that we need to be aware of...with out grouping the 99% of good LEO into the 1% that puts a black eye on the profession. Thanks.

I am LEO, and everyone here should know their rights in order to keep the % of us in our place. When in between jobs, I had a cop try and pull some crap on me for a search of my vehicle. Everyone should know what is Probable Cause and Search Incident to Arrest are. Even if you have nothing to hide, no reason to let your rights go.

Back
Top Bottom