• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Lead Bullet/Boolit Casters in Oxford GA, Area

Hard to find bullet caster these days with the cheap bullets on line. If you were close I could show you how to and what not to do or what not to buy. Casting is not hard. I still make a run twice a year but with the cheap price of zero bullets

Hard to find bullet caster these days with the cheap bullets on line. If you were close I could show you how to and what not to do or what not to buy. Casting is not hard. I still make a run twice a year but with the cheap price of zero bullets

I have been casting now for about a year using powder coating rather than traditional lubes. I have been experimenting with heat treatments using various temps to control BHN. Have monitored BHN changes of test bullets over a 6 month period for COWW, COWW + 2% tin and COWW/SOWW mix at 2% Sb/2%Sn ratios. I am matching BHN to powder charge with relatively good results

Primarily casting 9mm and 40 S&W solids, starting to cast HP in same calibers and exploring the use of traditional lubes. My casting skills are generally pretty good just having some questions about casting low BHN lead and the use of gas checks.

It would just be nice having to locals to bounce ideas off of.

BTW I am trying to sell my house and move into your area, I have daughters that live in Rome and the Rock Spring area.

I started in 83 and at one time cast lead was about all I used in Silhouette matches. Now i am playing with powder coating with 357 mag and 30 cal. I use wheel weights for my casting. For silhouette shooting I don't need anything harder than 18. Anything harder blows up on the 500 meter ram and does not take the ram down. When I started powder coating the lubes when away. Cleaner, easy, and does not lead.

If it is a rifle bullet then I gas check it. Now i powder coat gas check rifle bullets. I gas check 44 mag and one of my 357 mag bullet. What I have found is water drop wheel weights will do anything you want. Back in the 80's we could get all the linotype we wanted free. Not now. Now wheel weights are hard to get. Range pickups are slim. But you can still find lead.

I have been working on balancing BHN and Internal Pressures when selecting powder charges. You might find the following chart I developed Helpful. The water quenching mentioned was performed at room temp. Sorry for sending it to you as a picture. This forum would not allow me to send an excel file

Attachments

• Test Results.jpg
    Test Results.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 11
Back
Top Bottom