Learning on Single Stage or Progressive Press + Needed Startup Items

Status
Not open for further replies.

spamcastle

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
339   0
Reaction score
So I'm trying to get a good idea of all the equipment and supplies I need to start reloading. I hopeing that with Christmas coming up and a little pre-planning I can manage to work my self into a functioning setup by January. I plan on starting out loading 9mm and maybe 38 special. Would it be better for me to learn this art on a single stage or would it be feasable to learn on a progressice press? I will be loading for target and range use and not competion or hunting. Thus making a large quantity will be my end goal.

I have an individual who will help teach me the basics and let me watch him go through the loading process. I have no problem reading the ABC's but am more of a hands on visual style learner.

The two presses I have been researching are the following:
http://www.amazon.com/Breech-Challenger-Press-Bushings-Anniversary/dp/B00162RM3E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1320148408&sr=8-2
http://www.amazon.com/Hornady-Lock-Auto-Progressive-Reloading-Press/dp/B000PD01NS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320148876&sr=8-1

In addition to the items that come with these "starter" units I understand I will need the following items. Please let me know if I am missing something or do not need something listed.

Tumbler w/media
Dies in the correct caliber (I see these in 2, 3 and 4 dies sets)
Powder Scale (digital vs. mechanical?)
Caliper
Case holder for the press
Brass, Bullets, Primers, and Powder

Is this the loading manual that I read refrenced in other threads? This will inform me of the correct and safe "recipes" of ammunition making?
http://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Reloading-Handbook-49th-Edition/dp/B001FBFW6U/ref=pd_sim_sg_5

If you look at the recent postings here you will get answers to most of your questions:
Don't buy anything before reading several reloading manuals and understanding what reloading is all about!!!

Lyman's #49 is very good .. got one sitting on my bench right now.

You don't really need a case tumbler to begin with.
Get the Lee Classic Turrent Press (F&M has the best price)
Get Lee 4 die sets for pistol (shell holders come with them)
Get a mechanical scale, a digital one will drive you crazy!
Calipers are a good idea
Case Headspace Gauges are a good investment (I gauge every case that I load)

Also look at this hyperlink (and other postings on this excellent site)

http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=33

Last edited:
For pistol go ahead and get a progressive. I wish I had. For rifle I will always use a single stage.

If your doing both on one press get a turret.

For my rifle loads I also use a single stage press. For handgun I bought the Hornady LNL AP and couldn't be happier. Learning on the proggresive is no harder than a single stage you just learn one station at a time and make sure all adjustments are correct before moving to the next station. There are some great youtube videos to help you with the LNL AP if you do go that route.

There is no amount of "visual" that will substitute reading in handloading. That's just the way it is.

If you really want to learn the process of loading, understanding each process, reading is a must.

I know several people that reload that really don't know what they're doing. They only know what they've been shown.

The best method to use during the learning process is single stage. The press can be any variation, but used in single stage mode for learning.

Personally I prefer a turret press for most of my loading. I load only in single stage though, no auto advance. It's just my preferred method. I also have a single stage press, a Lee Classic Cast Breech lock. It's a great press. I always like to have a good single stage press on my bench.

If you setup for one load, load long runs using new or like new brass a progressive can be great. That ain't something I do though.

I like to do way too much case prep, change setups, and calibers way to often to ever be happy with progressives. I know this for a fact. Over the years I've had 4 progressive presses. They just aren't for me.

Just my 2 centavos based on 25 years of loading.

Last edited:
spamcastle, the Challenger is an excellent, budget-friendly single stage kit, but reloading pistol cartridges on it is needlessly slow. I would prefer to see you consider the Lee Classic Turret press kit instead of the the Lee Challenger kit.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lee-...+cast+turret&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

The Hornady is a top-of-the-line setup that will make a lot of ammo fast, about two to three times the speed of the turret press. The key drawback is that it's a bit more work to change cartridges, and more expensive to add calibers.

I have had three progressives: One Hornady, and two Lee. I eventually sold them off and settled on the Lee Classic Turret, which is what I make all of my ammo on (about 10 different catridges). I can be loading 308 Win, and then just a minute later, loading 9mm on the same machine. It takes me longer to put away the supplies and brass than it does to change the machine. The flexilbility is awesome.

There is a major difference between the Lee Turrent Press and the Lee Classic Turrent Press: One is made of Aluminum, the Classic is made from Cast Iron.
Both can easily be made non-auto-progressive by simply removing the indexing rod ... about a 10 second process to put in or take out.
The turrent allows for you to set-up and forget your dies. In non-progressive mode, you can simply twist the turrent to the die you want to use next!

Please, Please, Please do your reading homework first though ... Learn how and why you do each step of case preperation and loading.
Then watch the excellent videos on reloading located on the Internet ...

Best of all: Find an experienced reloader close by and spend a day with them

Then, if you want to proceed to "Buying" then

Here's a good deal from a good source for the Classic set-up. Just select the caliber dies and take the optional upgrade to the Pro Powder Measure.

https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php...n=com_virtuemart&Itemid=41&vmcchk=1&Itemid=41

For add-on's and other things:

http://www.fmreloading.com/

Picked up "The ABC's of Reloading" on my way home. Should help me get a base knowledge. Does anyone have a year old loading manual and I can have to read through before I get the current edition.

Also, I understand that cast iron is much stronger then aluminum but is the price difference justified?

Last edited:
On the single stage, no. Most folks would never know any difference between aluminum and iron.

On the turret, yes. Not due to strength though. The aluminum turret worked great, and loaded a lot of rounds for me for many years.

The difference worth spending the extra money for is the size. The opening is much larger on the Classic Cast turret press.
This makes loading longer rifle cartridges much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom